Book Design and Imaging

Converting from Quark?

Hi, I’ve designed a 120-page image-intensive 7×7 book in Quark 7.3.1 for Mac and want to import it into BookSmart. One way I’ve figured is to save each page individually as an EPS in Quark, making sure that it’s in RGB at 300dpi. However, threse EPS files do not show up as available to the BookSmart Library. Do I therefore have to open each page in Photoshop and convert to PNG? This would be incredibly time-consuming! There has to be a better way!

I’ve searched the Forums and Tips and not found answers to this, surprisingly….

Thanks for any suggestions.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Gatesofheck
Feb 10, 2009 6:52am PDT
Gatesofheck

I have done a few layouts in Quark…and yes, the only way I found to pull it into Blurb has been to save as an EPS, then open in Photoshop and save as PNG (if I didn’t have text, I used JPG).

Regi

Posted by
rbgool
Feb 10, 2009 7:04pm PDT
rbgool

Ouch! This is going to take a day!

When I design for offset in Quark, once I have the final size for all images, I resize all images in Photoshop to 100% at 300dpi before placing into book. Do you think it necessary to do this before exporting as a 300dpi eps from Quark? This means huge time…

Posted by
Gatesofheck
Feb 11, 2009 6:58am PDT
Gatesofheck

Let me preface this by saying that I’m definitely no pro – and am new to all this.

When I worked with my files from Quark, I did not do any re-sizing in photoshop.  There were a couple of instances where the colors seemed a bit off, so I did an autolevel adjustment.  Other than that, it went straight to JPG to get pulled into Booksmart.  I was pleased with my results.

Hope that helps!

Regi

Posted by
rbgool
Feb 11, 2009 11:33am PDT
rbgool

I really wish Blurb would accept PDFs for this, it would be so much easier for professional designers to create books.

You can create a batch in Photoshop, though, to automatically convert all your EPS files into PNG or JPGs. Record an action and apply it to a batch process. This way you can just let it roll and go get a bite to eat while the computer does the work for you!

Hope that helps!

Michelle 

Posted by
autumn4680
Feb 19, 2009 3:37pm PDT
autumn4680

i can’t believe blurb won’t take pdfs! this is bad news. i too use quark and do not feel like learning "blurb" software when quark or indesign is the publishing standard… let alone a pdf!

jjjjeeeez!

Posted by
andrea999
Mar 3, 2009 4:47pm PDT
andrea999

Gatesofheck,

I think you’ve gotten good input from several folks replying to this thread already, so this is just to reinforce the frustration you and Andrea expressed. I just did a few pages using the Quark to pdf to png flow for part of a test book and it was pretty tedious, but dependable and not nearly as tedious as trying to make Booksmart work. Blurb accepting pdf’s would help a little, but why go half way? Just have Blurb accept Quark or InDesign files with the correct page template sizes (i. e., full bleed). Too bad Quark or InDesign haven’t yet connected up with a Blurb-type printer.

Mike Reitsma

Posted by
argusmike
Mar 4, 2009 9:32pm PDT
argusmike

I export the quark file as EPS, then open that file in Adobe Distiller. This will convert the file to the correct Blurb pdf file (PDF X-3) and allow you to upload the pdf on the Blurb website.

Posted by
labomc212
Jul 29, 2010 2:57pm PDT
labomc212