Book Design and Imaging

So, who sharpens their images?

I’m not talking about remedial sharpening here, like trying to make an out of focus shot look sharp, I’m talking about unsharpened RAW images converted to JPGs for Blurb. We all know some intrinsic softness exsists within the image shot as RAW, so I’m wondering waht works best.

I know a lot of my clients (graphic designers) leave the sharpening to the printers, as they know how their litho/offset machines like their images, and they spend a fortune on sharpening software. So all my pro work is shipped out unsharpened, so I’ve no experience of sharpening for print. Scary.

Does Blurb recommend any sharpening for their (B3 Custom Workflow) printers, or is it just hit and miss?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
gooeman
Feb 10, 2009 7:07am PDT
gooeman

When sharpening for Indigo printers I resize the image to the print size and then sharpen so that the image looks good at 50% on my monitor. For some images I sharpen a wee bit more, for example on a silhouette with the sky as a background.

Always look god for me and I have made ten books now using Blurb and My Publisher.

/Kenneth

Posted by
Rudken
Feb 10, 2009 10:15am PDT
Rudken

There was some information a year ago in this thread: http://forums.blurb.com/forums/5/topics/1421#posts-22497 That related to what I believe are the pre-B3 Indigo 5000 printers. I think B3 uses 5500 printers. No word from Blurb on  sharpening for those, I just guessed that the recommendations for the 5000 are probably applicable to the 5500.

Posted by
photonpics
Feb 10, 2009 2:27pm PDT
photonpics

I just received a ‘test’ book. I deliberately sharpened all the images more than I would do during the normal photo print process. I also ‘over-lightened’ of the images – more than if it were a photo print process.

I am VERY happy with the results. I’m pretty sure that the images look much better because of the extra sharpening and lightening.

peter

Posted by
pcteacher95
Feb 10, 2009 5:33pm PDT
pcteacher95

I use input as well as output sharpening (and rarely, selective content sharpening).  For input sharpening of raw files I prefer the controls found in the detail panels of Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw.  I haven’t found any mention of printer sharpening on Blurb so I also used output sharpening for the one book I published here and there didn’t appear to be any additional sharpening added by the printer (although if there was, it did no harm).  If you are really interested "Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop CS2) by the late Bruce Fraser is a good book to review.  The input sharpening facilities of Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw were developed with Bruce’s help.

Posted by
obregon
Feb 11, 2009 6:08am PDT
obregon