Book Design and Imaging

using an jpeg designed in photoshop as a cover, and for copyright info?

Hi! I am a newbie here. I JUST finished designing my last page for an illustrated baby book (the kind you write in) I am now moving onto the cover and copyright info page. Using Booksmart I chose the 8×10 portrait sizing, and have uploaded full bleed pages throughout the book. You can see a sneek peek for a few of the pages here on flickr…  http://www.flickr.com/photos/vol25/sets/72157613627675335/

I am looking over the cover options, and I do not see the option of uploading one image as the cover. Any tips on getting this look? I really want the cover to match the themed pages throughout the book, so I would love to be able to design the cover and input my own text via photoshop. Can I do this? Also, I would like to do the same thing for the copyright info. Am I limited to using the two templates shown in booksmart? I noticed that blurb adds their own logo unless you pay a little more. If I add my own designed page, and remove the copyright page… will blurb add it back in? 

Sorry if I am not very good at explaining myself, am needing a break from my computer… but really wanted to finish this and send it off for printing! :)

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
vol25
Feb 13, 2009 8:40pm PDT
vol25

I think I just found what I was looking for regarding the cover. I dont know how I missed it… A template giving you the option of adding your own background image. Perfect! I assume so long as I leave the text boxes blank they shouldnt interefere with my cover?

Also, I guess I am still wondering if there anything keeping me from designing my own copyright info page?

Posted by
vol25
Feb 13, 2009 9:04pm PDT
vol25

As you assumed, the text box won’t show. If in doubt click the Preview Book button at the bottom right, what you see then is what will be printed.

You can either delete the copyright page or choose another template, it doesn’t have to be from the copyright set. Do either and that Blurb logo will dissapear. You can’t get rid of the one on the back page so easily though, you have to pay to delete that one.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 14, 2009 1:39am PDT
tfrankland

Thanks so much Tony, that is SOO helpful. :) I can tolerate the logo at the back of the book easier then the one at the front.

Posted by
vol25
Feb 14, 2009 10:22am PDT
vol25