Book Design and Imaging

Locked ??? dust jacket or image wrap ???

I’m getting close to finishing my book, but before i order, I would like to know the difference between the hard cover with a dust jacket and then the hard cover with an image wrap. Could someone help me out?

Thanks!!

Posted by
bubbymae
Mar 12, 2009 9:09am PDT
bubbymae

I’ve made both.  The jacket is a much better eye catcher than the image wrap.  The image wrap looks dull, almost hazy, whereas the jacket is glossy photo quality.  Far better even than the pages inside.  If blurb could print in inside pages like they print the jacket, they’d have a fantastic product.

So, which one to choose?  Personally, if the book is mostly going to sit on a coffee table and be picked up and viewed infrequently, or if it is for a client and you want ot make an impression, I’d go with the jacket.  If it is going to be passed around a lot or handled by unsupervised, or semi-supervised children, I’d go with the image wrap.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Mar 12, 2009 1:43pm PDT
Charybdis

I think that is really a personal choice question.  Myself I like the image wrap book better, although, I wish Blurb would upgrade the quality so that it had a slick finish so that it would resist marks better.  Or offer a book cover as an extra to the image wrap -  The problem I see with dust jackets is they get beat up and torn then you are left with just a blank book cover.  When I make books I’m hoping that the person that buys it will look at it often and not just to sit and look pretty on a coffee table.

Posted by
Bebensee
Mar 12, 2009 7:30pm PDT
Bebensee

Yes, the glossy dust-jacket shows your photos better.

Image-wrap with dust-jacket, and extra dust-jackets have been user-suggested for future.

On this Forum there seems to me to have been more disappointments with Image-wrap.

I’ve only used dust-jackets and will stick with them meanwhile. However, I did think about loss in the future, so I’ve made the first page in each book a composition of the best of the jacket photos.

Remember Image-wrap doesn’t include flaps.

P

Posted by
peteshep
Mar 12, 2009 11:02pm PDT
peteshep

1 – I love having flaps

2 – Image quality is much nice with the dust-jacket.

The rest is up to you.

Posted by
Fight2Fly
Mar 13, 2009 12:38am PDT
Fight2Fly

thanks! That is very helpful…..

I think i might go with the image wrap because i will have a lot of people handling it. I’m worried that the dust jacket will get torn. It’s good to know for future books though. Thanks for your help!

Posted by
bubbymae
Mar 13, 2009 7:06am PDT
bubbymae

Hello bubbymae;

My 2 cents worth – go for the DUSTJACKET!

I admit that I have NOT made an ImageWrap book (I have done 6 with DJs…) but the reports that are coming back about the ImageWrap (IMO) leave a lot to be desired…

The DJs look VERY professional, whereas the ImageWrap has a tendency (apparently) to look washed out, and is frequently described as "muddy" looking !

If you’re worried about the DJ being damaged, do what I do – take it off first if there’s any risk of "indelicate" hands handling it!

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Mar 13, 2009 7:26am PDT
lkb-28

Lee – mine haven’t looked muddy – but I would like it better if it was shiny.  One complaint I had though with the image wrap was when the background is black – it just seems to show all kinds of marks.  I wouldn’t do another image wrap that had a black background – but all my other image wrap books have been super….   (except I wish they had a slick finish)

Posted by
Bebensee
Mar 13, 2009 9:10am PDT
Bebensee

I am in the process of making my first book and have the same dilema. 

Has anyone used a book jacket cover?

http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/bjc/

Posted by
whagen
Mar 13, 2009 11:59am PDT
whagen

I haven’t ordered my book yet, and am trying to decide on image wrap vs. dust jacket. From most of the posts I’ve seen the main complaint is a “muddy” image on the image wrap. I think people are confusing “muddy” with the matte finish. When doing darkroom work, I was always a fan of matte paper. Matte, when side by side with a glossy, will always look less saturated. It’s just the nature of matte. From all the side by sides I see, the images aren’t muddy, they’re all as crisp and clear as the dust jacket. The difference is simply the matte finish. They look exactly as any of my b&w photos would look side by side if printed on both matte and gloss. The black is saturated to 100%, its just a matte finish which makes it appear to be less black than a glossy.

I think I’m going to give the image wrap a shot. I’d rather have the book look aged and worn in with marks, then the dust jacket to be destroyed. Plus, my image is pretty dark, so it may come out even. Also, in my opinion a glossy image wrap would probably get dinged up and smudged faster than a matte.

I think this flickr links shows a really good comparison. The lighting seems really even.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kate_hibbs/3120354368/in/set-72157611413712384/

Posted by
pmooney14
Apr 7, 2009 8:52am PDT
pmooney14

here is how my cover looked on Blurb in the preview mode (I used a screen capture program to get it)

Amd here is how the book looked when I got it…...I didn’t allow for enough of the edge trimming and you can see where they cut it.  I had already decided to make another book as there were other things I wanted to correct.  Would be nice if the software showed lines where the trim would actually take place rather than leaving one to guess….

Yes, it has a slight dull finish to it….I suppose that next time I will try the jacket so that the red color of the car pops!

If you get image wrap, what color is the book underneath?  Do you get a title on the book or are you at the mercy of the cover only?

Posted by
firstgear
Apr 7, 2009 4:26pm PDT
firstgear

Firstgear – this cover really scares me.  Did you allow anything for edge trimming?  What about the photos inside?  When I use the slider to make the photos smaller is that all that shows or will the photos appear larger and not fit properly?   I am Canadian and by the time you add all the extras and shipping these books are not cheap.  

Posted by
WallStShari
Apr 9, 2009 10:24am PDT
WallStShari

dont be scared, first off, the title of my book was in my jpeg photo, not the Blurb title box.  That was my first book and of course I just jumped in and didn’t read all the tips and tricks.  For sure what ever photo you ever have on the cover or any page if it goes to the edge, it will be cut to some extent.

If you have your photos in a container with a white or colored border of some type, Blurb will only cut on the border and not your photo, but if your photo goes all the way to the edge of the page, you need to allow for cutting.  I have done a couple of books now where I forgot that..  Live and learn!

I made all of my photos in the first book 11×13 and used the slider to adjust them.  I didn’t notice any problems with doing that.   I even did a two page photo and those worked out great.  In those cases I went into photoshop and cropped the photo to 11X26 and bumped the outside edges against the outside edge of the book pages.  You need to allow about 1/8" in the gutter, so I just aligned it best I could guess and those turned out great.  That was my Photos out of Africa book.  If you were to do a two page photo that had to line up everything nicely and precise, I would be more worried trying to do that, say the window in a building that the same window cuts across both pages.

On the other hand, I had a two page rhino and it turned out great.

We are headed to Rome this weekend and I hope to get a bunch of photos for another book.  While we are on vacation this weekend, I brought the laptop and an extra battery for the plane flight to work on a book from our trip to Galapagos Islands.

IF you do full page photo bleeds and don’t use containers smaller than the page, make sure that you leave the edge to be cut away as not important…..

Does that make sense?

Posted by
firstgear
Apr 9, 2009 4:54pm PDT
firstgear

firstgear,
Hi maybe you can help me since you seem to know your stuff :)!
Did you try using Blurb to print the inside pages matte as well…?
If so what were your thoughts on the results?
-Rachael

Posted by
rachaelreuve
Feb 1, 2010 2:33pm PDT
rachaelreuve

I’ve done many book, mostly image wrap and love them. My latest book has vivid reds. I reproduced the photo inside the book and the cover and inside both sharp and both matte

Posted by
jelijo
Apr 5, 2011 8:25pm PDT
jelijo