Book Design and Imaging

Barcode Generation

Folks,

After having waited for quite a long time, I’ve finally got my ISBN. However, the next problem is how to generate the much-talked about barcode. I’ve no idea. :)

Could anyone help me with information on how to go about it?

My eyes are on the road for some advice. :)

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
pyh2008
Mar 22, 2009 4:09am PDT
pyh2008

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/3/topics/2003

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 22, 2009 4:36am PDT
tfrankland

Simple:

http://www.tux.org/~milgram/bookland/

Posted by
cbnewham
Mar 23, 2009 5:48am PDT
cbnewham

Thanks very much, folks.

It’s really appreciated. I’ve already tried it. I got someting that is a bar code. However, I am not sure whether it’s the professional one that appears on books. :)

There’s another problem. Putting it on the backcover is tormenting me. Anytime I try to place it on the cover, exactly at the place it should be placed, it takes the whole page surprising. 

What should I do now, folks? 

Posted by
pyh2008
Mar 23, 2009 2:30pm PDT
pyh2008

We just purchased our ISBN numbers, (we are Americans) and the service for US numbers is Bowker.  They are the only ones that you can be sure are legit.  They also offer barcodes for $25 ea, discounts in quantity.

For something as important as an ISBN number, I’d make sure to go directly to the agency.

Posted by
RGebbiePhoto
Mar 23, 2009 8:28pm PDT
RGebbiePhoto

I think you need to create your cover in an image editing application such as photoshop (there are lots of free ones as well, such as GIMP). That will allow you to exactly position the barcode, export that as a .PNG file then import that into your cover.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 24, 2009 12:49am PDT
tfrankland

The Bookland site produces correct barcodes with all the correct spacings.

You need to design your cover in a graphics editing application (e.g.: photoshop, GIMP) and position the barcode where you want it.  Make sure you place the barcode on a neutral background (preferably white – you will notice many books actually have a white rectangle in which the bar code sits). It should also be large enough – about an inch or so across.

There is never a need to pay for a barcode; that’s just a rip-off  "service".The only thing you ever need pay for is the ISBN itself.

Posted by
cbnewham
Mar 24, 2009 1:42am PDT
cbnewham

Hello Folks,

Agains, many things for your responses. However, the problem persists.Every time I try to place the barcode on the back cover, it takes the whole page. It’s annoying!

Tony, you talk about  creating my COVER in a graphic editing application. I have no idea how to go about it. I am doing my book myself. Blurb Booksmart has various pages—front cover, back cover, title page, etc., I just took the back cover provided me by the software. I wrote a texts at the upper part of the back cover and wanted to place the barcode below, but it cover the entire page.

How do I create a new back cover page? Could you or anyone else help me with this?

Posted by
pyh2008
Mar 24, 2009 11:21am PDT
pyh2008