Book Design and Imaging

Book bleed

I designed my book in InDesign and made my pages 9.627" x 8.25" .  From there, I exported them as jpegs with the maximum quality and 300 dpi.  I am putting them onto the Blurb standard landscape pages and not adjusting the size at all, but it seems there might be a 1/16" on the bottom of every page thats blank, like the jpeg isn’t the right height.  Is this just me seeing this because I’ve been staring at my computer for three days straight, or will that be cut off or should I zoom in a click on my images?  Please help!  This is my graphic design thesis project and it has to be right. 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
kristawoods
Mar 30, 2009 10:11pm PDT
kristawoods

I also have 1/2 margins on every side, so that won’t be a concern, I just don’t want blank white space when there should be a full bleed.

Posted by
kristawoods
Mar 30, 2009 10:13pm PDT
kristawoods

There is an inconsistancy in the different bits of Blurb documentation giving the page sizes so I suspect that the pages are probably not the right height (there is a thread on this topic here).

What I have done for both 13" x 11" and 10" x 8" books is hover the mouse over the full bleed page and BookSmart will pop up the ideal dimensions of the image (this works for any image container) then sized my page using that rather than the sizes in the FAQs and Blog. They have all turned out fine with no white strips anywhere.

Another point if I may? Exporting page images from InDesign as JPEGs loses a lot of quality in the image, it is a known problem. The recommended approach, both by users and now by Blurb, is to go InDesign—> PDF—> Photoshop—> PNG—> BookSmart. Long winded I know but I gather you’ll get a nuch better result. You’ll find details here…. http://blog.blurb.com/index.php/2007/05/03/how-to-import-your-custom-design-into-booksmart/

..........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 30, 2009 11:59pm PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony

I exported from Photoshop CS3 (.psd to .jpg – standard . quality 12) and it saved the image quality. But I first did like you said, ("...hover the mouse over the full bleed page and BookSmart will pop up the ideal dimensions of the image …"). I’ve been working following these dimensions.

But will PNG give a better result than JPG? The .jpgs looked great when I received my book!

Thanks

Posted by
NandoRJ
Mar 31, 2009 8:37am PDT
NandoRJ

"Is this just me seeing this because I’ve been staring at my computer for three days straight".

I’ve been working on a family history album, and I see dead people:)

On the serious side, I’ve seen what I think you are seeing.  I do all full bleed from photoshop and I thought my pictures were off center because of the white line along the edge.  I tried moving the photo down, and the line didn’t go away.  I assumed it was an artifact of Booksmart, and published anyway.  It did not show up in the book.

If you adjust your photo on the page and the line stays, the problem is not your photo size.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Mar 31, 2009 10:51am PDT
Charybdis

Is PNG the best thing for exported text, too? I tried reading through that enormous thread with like 40 posts, but I didn’t get a clear answer out of it. My pages are about 50% photo, 30% 10 pt text, and 20% display type (72 pt and larger) and some decorative paths. I think I will just order another book, and have one of each (I’ll definently be posting about how each one turns out!) but I’d appreciate any further help.

Posted by
kristawoods
Mar 31, 2009 10:55am PDT
kristawoods

Nandorj & kristawoods.

I did a testbook about this time last year with various fonts and using BookSmart for the text and importing pages created in Photoshop via JPEG and PNG. You’ll see my findings in this thread.

But I have to admit that there are others who disagree and say going via JPEG is just fine. Do a search for "png" in the forums and that’ll bring up other views.

Jeremy Bates, one of the Blurb staffers, also recommends PNG as you’ll see here.

Krista, this applies to any page image that contains text. It is also better for line drawings.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 31, 2009 1:03pm PDT
tfrankland

Before I found Tony’s thread about PNG, I did a couple of books with JPG only.  The next book I did using PNG for any pages that had text.  I did notice some difference – the PNG did seem a bit crisper.  I’ve been doing PNG on pages with text ever since.

Regi

Posted by
rbgool
Apr 1, 2009 6:02pm PDT
rbgool