Book Design and Imaging

image offset to account for gutter?

I have noticed that in some of the BLURB layouts, the text box is off center. I am guessing it is this way to allow for loss in the book gutter. After loss, it appears centered? So, when I am designing my own pages in PS4, and I have centered images… Do I need to off-center them to allow for page loss in the book gutter? I want them to appear centered in the final print.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
martonis
Apr 10, 2009 8:37am PDT
martonis

For what it’s worth, I offset mine a little as I think it looks better overall.  In an external program, I set my margins to 1/2", except for the gutter side and I set that for 1".

If you use an external applilcation to construct your pages, be sure you set the page dimensions correct.  For instance, and 11×13 is not 11×13.  That’s rougly the cover size, but the pages sit back in from the edge of the cover, necessitating using  the dimensions given here:

http://www.blurb.com/create/book/dimensions

The final page will have an additional 1/8" trimmed from these dimensions on each side except the gutter side.

The above is my interpretation of the sizes, if someone else wants to correct my thinking on anything, I’ll welcome it.

Posted by
deanej
Apr 10, 2009 8:56am PDT
deanej