Book Design and Imaging

Locked Google maps

Any advise if google maps (screen shots) can be used in the photo book without any copyright issues?

Posted by
gelmat
May 11, 2009 2:16pm PDT
gelmat

Have a look at Google’s info… regarding terms of service

http://www.google.ca/accounts/TOS?loc=CA

Cordially, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 11, 2009 8:16pm PDT
brianbonitz

Although you can’t use Google maps without their explicit permission there are some copyright free map sources.

the two I have used for maps for my books are the US CIA World Factbook, details here. and the United Nations Cartographic Departmen, details here .

The CIA maps should be used as-is but the CIA logo may not be included (details here).

The UN has a different policy which is helpful to book makers. You can use the maps as-is in which case you need to leave the UN information (map number, logo, etc) on the map. But you can also modify the maps (I use puchpins and mark routes). In that case you must remove the UN information, you can see the usage details here.

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 12, 2009 12:05am PDT
tfrankland

Tony-
You are always such a wonderful source of information! I’ve never needed to use map before but now that I know I can…

Amelia

Posted by
CasaDeWoof
May 12, 2009 11:16am PDT
CasaDeWoof

Many thanks Tony and Brian

Gel

Posted by
gelmat
May 12, 2009 6:15pm PDT
gelmat

To answer my earlier post, I found this in Google’s site:
http://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html#examples

"Print use
You may use Google Maps and Google Earth content including photographic imagery in brochures, marketing collateral, packaging, trade show displays/banners, newspapers, academic publications, journals, and books. If you wish to print screen shots for direct marketing purposes that exceed a quantity of 5,000 copies, you must obtain special permission from Google. Incorporating the Licensed Content as a core part of printed matter (such as street-level printed maps of entire cities or guide books) that you distribute for a fee is not allowed without permission from Google. "

Hope this is helpful.

Posted by
gelmat
May 12, 2009 6:38pm PDT
gelmat

VERY helpful!

When I first wanted a map 18 months ago I started with Google but the terms and conditions seemed to exclude that option without getting Google’s permission. I obviously totally missed the Permissions section that you have highlighted – not sure why.

So thanks again, that is a very helpful link.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
May 13, 2009 12:07am PDT
tfrankland

I agree with Tony. I also agree that the link regarding special permission very helpful. I also realize the link I had provided earlier in this forum discussion, I didn’t realize that Google info is based on Canada location… notice the domain name that ends with .ca which represents Canada domain name.

However, the information probably applies the same in any other countries in representation of Google around the world. As for copyright laws, that varies from country to other country. So it is very wise to take a good look on that special permission and copyright in residency of country you are residing in. When in doubt or unsure, either contact Google’s copyright contact person, or contact a licensed lawyer that specializes in copyright issue. This save you lot of trouble, money and time.

Thanks for the info. Have a great evening!

Cordially, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 13, 2009 6:07pm PDT
brianbonitz

Tony, You are the best! The UN site has a great map of the Delta and I want to use it. Could you help me step by step get it into my book or point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Steve

Posted by
beeslesm001
Aug 29, 2009 10:02am PDT
beeslesm001

I realize this topic is old but I am having the same issue/question. How do I modify the UN map so I can add pushpins for a few locations I have travelled? I can only find the PDF version of the maps not an editable version. Many thanks!

Posted by
amyswo
Jul 4, 2012 7:18am PDT
amyswo

The UN (& CIA) maps are PDFs but the image of the maps is extractable by Photoshop giving you a file you can edit for routes and pushpins.

In Photoshop go to the File…..Open menu item and select the UN PDF, in the import dialogue Photoshop will ask you whether you want to import the pages or the images, choose the latter. You will now have a .PSD of the map you can play with.

If you are using an image editing program other than Photoshop come back and report which one here and maybe another user can give you some advice.

If your book is for yourself & family/friends (i.e. not for commercial sale) you can get some free pushpins here http://www.sweetclipart.com/office-pushpins-six-colors-419.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 5, 2012 8:38am PDT
tfrankland

Thanks for you quick response. This should do the trick.

Posted by
amyswo
Jul 8, 2012 5:40pm PDT
amyswo