Book Design and Imaging

Editing a book after purchasing

Hello, after publishing and printing a book… wouldn’t you know it, I found a spelling error. Although, I’ve already purchased the first copy I’m hoping I can edit a new version without somehow forfeiting the $ spent to enter the photo comp with the initial book. Thanks in advance for any info.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Breisch
May 18, 2009 8:17pm PDT
Breisch

Don’t feel like you’re the only one to have this happen.  It seem like those spelling errors are able to hide until you buy the book, then they come out of hiding.

Too fix the problem, you will have to correct it in Booksmart on your computer.  Then, delete the old version of the book from the Blurb site and upload the corrected version.  You will then have 15 days to order a new copy just as before.  In other words, you will delete the old copy and start over from the beginning.

Posted by
deanej
May 19, 2009 4:08am PDT
deanej

... which is absolutely ridiculous!

It is another of my main gripes against Blurb; the inability to fix mistakes in a book without having to purchase another copy.

I have a suggestion for Blurb (as I’m sure they won’t want to completely remove this money-making "feature"):

Why don’t you allow a time-limited and/or  number of uploads limit for making corrections?

So, you upload a book and then have 15 days or N number of uploads (say 2 or 3) after your first purchase for making corrections. The project is not deleted but the PDF is replaced by the new one you upload.

I think that is only fair. What isn’t fair is having to purchase the book anew just to correct some minor errors.

Posted by
cbnewham
May 19, 2009 5:05am PDT
cbnewham

Hi,

We are certainly looking into ways that might make replacing books a bit easier. Great feedback!

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
May 19, 2009 9:28am PDT
kathybad

I found a small mistake I had made in my book too. I certainly don’t mind having to buy one more book when I correct and upload my new revision, but it would be great if there was a "replace" feature instead of a full delete and re-upload. 

I’ve announced my book to friends and created blurb badges which connect to the book from facebook, flickr, as well as a link from my website, so it’s kind of a bummer to have to get rid of all the links to that book, and create new ones because the revised book is like a brand new listing.

I’d love to see a "replace" feature, and glad to hear blurb is listening. Thanks Kathy!

Posted by
shelbows
Jun 1, 2009 8:29pm PDT
shelbows

Perhaps that Blurb software engineering team should add a "tip" or "reminder" to double check on all spelling BEFORE upload the file.

Something similar to Adobe InDesign CS4’s inflight checklist. It would be nice feature to be added in Blurb Booksmart app, and at the time of prior to upload file. And perhaps other pesting reminder at the time of check out (prior to publish and order book at the same time for book makers) (it is not seen to other book buyers, only authors (bookmakers) see it at the time of upload.) i hope this helps to explain the idea.

Cheers, Brian {a passionately Blurbian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 1, 2009 10:25pm PDT
brianbonitz

I think there is a reminder at the time of upload, to check spelling. My mistake was not a spelling error but the wrong title for an image when I changed the cover image. Of course, there is no program that can catch that mistake :)  A proofreader wouldn’t necessarily catch it either.

Posted by
shelbows
Jun 2, 2009 6:22am PDT
shelbows

"Perhaps that Blurb software engineering team should add a "tip" or "reminder" to double check on all spelling BEFORE upload the file."

They do. In the big dialog that appears when you click on "Buy book," this is one of the checklist items.

Posted by
jshook
Jun 5, 2009 7:09am PDT
jshook

The Blurb printing queue is too efficient.  Within a few hours (over a sunday) of when I ordered the book when I realized that I did not order on premium paper.  I immediately E mail them to stop the order and change to premium paper and charge me the difference.  But I had to commit to the order as the queue is already in motion and I had to settle for my mistake.  The ordering system has to be more customer friend.  It was over a Sunday within 2 hours.

Posted by
snpan
Jun 8, 2009 7:12pm PDT
snpan

Being "Sunday" is no longer relevant… we are now a 24/7 society! The fact that you thought you could e-mail Blurb on Sunday and have them take action is exactly indicative of that!

One of the reasons Blurb is so cost-effective is precisely because of the high level of automation in the routine; with the removal (or at least minimalisation) of high-cost human intervention… The quid-pro-quo for that is that the onus is on us, as users, to ensure that we get our order right first-time.

Nevertheless; I hope you will be happy with the results of your work…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jun 9, 2009 1:30am PDT
lkb-28

Maybe my choice of word or something wasn’t being clear earlier discussion…

Perhaps that the content on that reminder checklist at the time of upload should be read as “orange” and a little bigger font and easier to read. The one I saw seems to be a little small font.

As for checklist, if you have Adobe InDesign application, there is a brilliant stuff called Preflight checklist, that is what I am trying to address and discuss about enhancement request few months ago. It would be nice feature to be included INSIDE the Blurb BookSmart application BEFORE upload. Perform Preflight checklist to see if there is any possible error or something, once it looks great, then proceed to upload.

Hope that helps.
Cheers, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 9, 2009 11:21am PDT
brianbonitz

I hope they have some spelling check function.

Posted by
mingyuliang
Dec 5, 2012 11:00am PDT
mingyuliang