Book Design and Imaging

Beware the cover "Image Wrap" option!

Today I received my first ever Blurb-created book—and the first impression was not at all good. But it may have been my own fault.  I carefully created a cover image including the title to eactly fit the 8×10 dimensions and left a "safety zone" at the edges. I’m not sure why I selected "Image Wrap" for the hardcover printed book… I think I presumed it would guarantee my cover image went to the edge and was not merely "floated" within the image area. But here’s what happens: Your image is stretched to beyond the edges. My title and other text now mistakenly goes beyond the edge and it looks bad. (I should say all the inside pages do look great.) So, while I may have been foolish to select the "Image Wrap" option, I might have expected that a human operator would have seen the problem before the print button was punched and chosen to reduce the image size a few percent so that the text was not chopped off. Really, Blurb, is that expecting too much?  So, book designers be warned…. Image Wrap can be risky.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Alaimo
May 21, 2009 2:48pm PDT
Alaimo

I don’t think a human operator sees your book at all before it is printed.  It is totally automated.  Control has to come from you in Booksmart.

I have never done an Image Wrap, so I’ll leave the discussion of how to approach it to someone else.

Posted by
deanej
May 21, 2009 3:09pm PDT
deanej

As it turns out, the support staff at Blurb did not leave me in the lurch and was very understanding. I’m getting a credit, but this is not to suggest anyone encountering a printing issue will receive the same. So, be cautious and don’t use imagewrap with text anywhere near the edge!

Posted by
Alaimo
May 21, 2009 8:22pm PDT
Alaimo

You might want to check out this faq in help before designing the cover of your next book.  It does explain the allowances you need to make when designing your cover.

<table cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="title"> </td><td class="title" width="100%">

How much space should I allow between my critical content and the edge of my ImageWrap full-bleed cover?

</td></tr><!—<tr><td></td></tr>—><!—<tr> <td class="subtitle"> </td> <td class="subtitle">Summary</td> </tr>—><!—<tr> <td class="textcell"> </td> <td class="textcell" id="desc">How much space should I allow between my critical content and the edge of my ImageWrap full-bleed cover?</td> </tr>—><!—<tr> <td></td> </tr>—><!—<tr> <td class="subtitle"> </td> <td class="subtitle">Answer</td> </tr>—><tr><td class="textcell"> </td><td class="textcell">

For ImageWrap books, we recommend allowing 7/8" to 1 inch of space between your critical content and the edge of the cover page.

For this binding type, 3/8" of the outer edges of a full-bleed image will get wrapped around the edges of the hard cover. After the 3/8" wrap, your text or other content placed at 1" will now appear 1/2" from the edge of the finished cover.

You might find this video helpful as well: Introducing Hardcover with ImageWrap.

</td></tr></tbody></table>
Posted by
Bebensee
May 21, 2009 9:40pm PDT
Bebensee

Sorry I’m not sure why copy/paste does all the goofy symbols – but you should still be able to read the recommending allowance for your Image Wrap book…...

Posted by
Bebensee
May 21, 2009 9:41pm PDT
Bebensee

This is also a problem with dust jackets. The cover (front and back) images wrap around to the insie flaps of the dust jacket. The dust jacket is just too large, as if made for a book with more pages. Odd in my case since my book is 440 pages, the most that blurb will print. Illustration here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30752530@N02/3589397301/

(copy and paste entire URL)

Posted by
jshook
Jun 5, 2009 7:16am PDT
jshook