Book Design and Imaging

EXPERIENCED WITH UPLOADING PNG FILES?

I am working on a fina art catalog for a client. The catalog will feature his collection as well as descriptions, history, and background of some of the schools of artists. This means there will be a lot of copy.

I find Blurb’s text handling to be rough and low-level. However, I understnad that Blurb is not meant for high-end typography. So I will have to create my text pages outside Blurb and upload them as PNG files.

Has anyone had experience with uploading text as PNG files? How did it work out? What are your comments on this workflow?

Thanks

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Spencer
Jun 10, 2009 6:20am PDT
Spencer

I use PNG whenever I create my pages outside of BookSmart, usually in Photoshop CS3, though I have played with MS Word and InDesign.

It’s bar far the best approach for importing images with text. Have a read of this thread regarding text quality.

Which app are you thinking of using for your page design?

.....Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 10, 2009 10:29am PDT
tfrankland

I design in inDesign, export to PDF, export PNG from Photoshop and then import into BookSmart (currently the standard way to do this). Text is passable using this method. It will, of course, never be as sharp as rasterised text done in the printer itself.

However, it really depends on how critical you are going to be of the finished product. I tend to use Palatino Linotype as my standard font and at certain point sizes you can tell that the text is not quite as good as it should be – especially on thin strokes. But I am being very critical here.

Posted by
cbnewham
Jun 10, 2009 11:26am PDT
cbnewham

I just realised the link got lost in my post. It should have direted you to here…..

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/2/topics/6365

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 10, 2009 12:05pm PDT
tfrankland

For this particular book, the client wants, and expects, and is paying for a high-end job. I will not be using Palatino, but rather a font with quite thin strokes and serifs. I will have to give it a go and do a test to see. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted by
Spencer
Jun 10, 2009 7:21pm PDT
Spencer