Book Design and Imaging

How much space is lost due to fold/binding

HI,

I want my images to appear central on the page so I intend to position them a little further away from the spine. Can anyone who already has a blurb book tell me how much space I should allow due to the fold into the binding at the center?

I have noticed this has already been done on some of the booksmart templates but not all.

Many thanks,

CC

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
chel180
Jun 28, 2009 5:12pm PDT
chel180

It really depends upon how many pages your book is, and how flat you push it down when open.  A really thick book may show more page near the beginning and end than in the middle.  Since blurb trims 1/8 inch from the outside edge, and adds 1/8 to the binding edge (hardcover only), I’d just center it on a full bleed page.  If 1/4 inch is lost in the binding, and 1/8 inch is trimmed from the outside, centering on a full bleed template would be just perfect.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Jun 28, 2009 9:50pm PDT
Charybdis

Thanks Mike.

Does everyone agree?

Posted by
chel180
Jun 29, 2009 3:55pm PDT
chel180

I was also conscious of this so i made sure i places my picture a tad bit away from the spine. It still looked good but overdid it…

So I agree with just centering it on a full bleed template!!!! 

Posted by
xam2x
Jun 30, 2009 5:13pm PDT
xam2x

Can someone from Blurb confirm this? Where does it say this specifically in any of the info about preparing one’s book?

For example the custom layout for a 12×12 book appears to show a grid that is 12×11.875 inches. This would allow for the trim on the right, but what about the top and bottom (which are also trimmed as I read the fine print)?

Then there’s the left vs right page inconsistency that the 11.875 dimension and grid introduce. The grid should logically be flipped for left and right if it is trying to show trim. My goal is to be able to create a page with the image visually centered.

The book will be 80 pages. I’m happy to allow an additional 1/8 inch to move a picture box away from the gutter to create visual centering. But if this happens automatically, of course it’s not needed. But who knew, short of this link, that it might already be happening?

I would be happy to see anything from Blurb that would explain this definitively.

A proof book will be done, but it would be nice to assume that one is starting in the most appropriate manner.

Thank you.

Posted by
ecohenphoto
Jul 26, 2009 6:00pm PDT
ecohenphoto

@ecohenphoto, as well as for other fellow Blurbarians with same question/concern…

I just had my book recently published with Blurb through its new program called PDF To Book (uploaded PDF files on 2009-July-16) and am expecting my book… as it is currently being shipped to Toronto in Canada from somewhere in the states.

My book has 94 pages, a 12 by 12 large square format. In my book, I chose Premium Paper as stock paper for my book. As you are, I am curious how the my images looks, and how it relates to depth of book (many pages vs fewer pages and relationship of photos position depending how many pages). As mentioned above with frame of reference by Mike, I agree with Mike’s observation.

I create my book, including cover, with Adobe InDesign CS4 and Photoshop CS4 Extended on a calibrated monitor using X-Rite ColorMunki Photo.

Once I receive and analyze my book, I will know the details based on what and how this book is published with all parameters involved as discussed above, etc. Then I will move on to 2nd stage of my book from 94 pages to a 160-pages—perhaps with slight modifications in some photos if needed to. While comparing my physical book and its content with InDesign document and PDF files and see how it relates, and what’s difference. I’d be gladly to report this back once I get an educated observation. At this present time, I do not know when my book arrive. I get the feeling—sometime this week. I suspect that my book is in middle of somewhere sitting at Canadian custom border before arriving at my residence. I can hardly wait to receive this book!!! ;)

Cheers, Brian

P.S. While Blurb’s InDesign templates, I notice that they have different InDesign templates based on number of pages. So kindly examine these difference between number of pages (standard paper vs premium paper). Also different templates structure for Image wrap vs dust jacket cover per se. At the same time, Blurb has some brilliant, well organized chart to chose from in Download Adobe Templates—-depending on which version of InDesign app you have and type of platform (Mac or Windows etc). For further information more on Blurb’s book spefications, use search query anywhere on Blurb website.

IF for some reason, unsure or in doubt, you can always contact Blurb customer service, OR right here on the forum!

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jul 26, 2009 7:07pm PDT
brianbonitz

Thanks very much Brian,

Color is not the question – that’s totally under control.

It’s about picture placement on the page.

I am not using InDesign to layout the book. It’s not that complex. Just a picture box on a page (and perhaps a text box underneath). Blurb’s “Edit layout” in 2.0+ should be able to take care of this.

So, can anyone with knowledge of the process provide specifics beyond annecdotal experience”?

The book in this case (12×12) will be done on custom paper, is hardbound, with 74-80 pages.

Thanks again.

Posted by
ecohenphoto
Jul 26, 2009 9:10pm PDT
ecohenphoto

Hi ecohenphoto,

I look again at your original post. I realize that I actually thought that you were using InDesign, but you are using BookSmart. My apologies for misunderstanding.

As for custom paper, can you clarify on which? Because Blurb has two types of option: standard paper or Premium Paper. I assume that you are referring custom paper as standard paper, no?

Once again, i truly apologize for my misunderstanding on my part.

Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jul 26, 2009 11:52pm PDT
brianbonitz

premium paper

sorry for being unclear

Posted by
ecohenphoto
Jul 27, 2009 7:28am PDT
ecohenphoto

ecohenphoto,

Let me see if I can help answer your question. Judging from the book size and page count you are making, you will likely lose 1/8" in the gutter. That said, we do recommend off-setting the content slightly to the left or right 1/4-1/2", to achieve a centered look. Of course, this is only doable with containers on edited layouts and full-bleed pages. Unfortunately, we can’t offer precise measurements as there are too many variables involved, which is why we recommend a proof book  in case you want to further edit.

Hope that helps.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jul 27, 2009 4:03pm PDT
kathybad

I did order a proof book – a full 200 pages.  I revised a few pages based on that proof and uploaded my book again. I ordered another book and this time the top trim is almost 1/4 in. and the bottom much less than 1/8 inch.  My pages are full bleed and in most cases still look good.  But on some pages that were centered vertically, the lopsided trim makes them look amatuerish.  I spent so much time laying the pages out, it’s disappointing to have this result. So I don’t know that a proof makes a lot of difference.

I have contacted blurb and am waiting for a reply.

Posted by
yellowbelle
Aug 14, 2009 1:20pm PDT
yellowbelle

I still haven´t ordered my book but I´m also curious about this.

Do they trim as much on the top as they do on the bottom? I´m making my pages in photoshop and have put the images in the center as I thought they would cut as much on the outside as I loose in the gutter…

Posted by
Evamjoll
Aug 23, 2009 3:48pm PDT
Evamjoll