Book Design and Imaging

Can I use both the Blurb book design program and upload a PDF Imagewrap cover?

After spending countless hours nit picking the details of my design in the Blurb BookSmart design program, I realized that my Imagewrap cover will not “wrap” around the spine of my book. I was wondering if I can just upload a InDesign PDF of the cover and still use the BookSmart program pages of my actual book? Or will I have to start over and design the whole thing (both cover and book content) in InDesign?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
mgreener
Jul 15, 2009 10:39am PDT
mgreener

To upload PDF file, you need to upload two PDF files that is created in InDesign for cover layout *and* page layout.

You will need to decide to pick only one application, whether you want to use BookSmart *or* InDesign.

Although, I have no idea about your experience working with InDesign. If you are new with InDesign, expect a deep learning curve. However you have totally control of your design in InDesign.

With the last question, yes, you will need to start all over again in InDesign with cover and book content.

Hope that helps.

Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jul 15, 2009 2:12pm PDT
brianbonitz

this is a huge fault of the system. you can’t have a actual ‘image wrap’ cover using booksmart as you can’t have an image over the spine. but Blurb does show sexy examples of just that, but surprise only if you don’t use there software and do it all by PDF. And no you can’t use booksmart to do the pages and solve it with a custom PDF cover either. Why would you design a software tool and then cripple it? I have done POD printing with other folks who allow an image to actually wrap over a cover.. this isn’t rocket science. If registration of text is the issue, then let me place text with your tool over an image. frankly its a bit of a bait and switch of their marketing.

Posted by
perschke
Jul 18, 2010 1:09pm PDT
perschke