Book Design and Imaging

Setting font size for book- quite an onerous battle

I do have the latest upgrade. I want my book to have a consistent type style and size. Im spending 14 hour days at this, and half of that time is fighting the obstinance of the program. Now, I’d like to fix some typos and add more text. But every time I try to insert something, the style reverts to 9 oint. How many people here want 9 point for the body of their text? It’s an onerous process, fixing them one at a time, highlighting, and then trying to get the text back to the right size. What should take an hour, will be all day, fighting this. Custom styles simply ignores my requests. Anybody have any ideas how I can make the book keep the font size I want whereever I add new text, rather than having to re-size every single one? Is there a "preferences" somewhere that I’m missing?  thanks

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
MarkMiller
Aug 2, 2009 7:09am PDT
MarkMiller

I agree, unless I am missing something obvious. The other thing, and again unless I missed the obvious, was the lack of ability to set a default font of my choice.

Posted by
Glyndebourne
Aug 3, 2009 6:38am PDT
Glyndebourne

Glad I’m not the only one. Setting a default thru "Preferences" would be very helpful. I’m trying to beimaginative as I write my captions in the book, plus I’m drawing tidbits from years, and want to get it all to the best of my creative ability. Unfortunately, a substantial amount of that creativity is being sapped away with fighting tedious little things like tyring to calculate the best approach to correct two switched letters by minimizing how much effort will be lost thru highlighting and hoping to get the right size back. The most absurd is finding a period that is nine pt instead of 13, what I want, and having to correct that dot. And it will show the difference! 

Posted by
MarkMiller
Aug 3, 2009 7:23am PDT
MarkMiller

Hi Mark,

I’m wondering if our default font FAQ might help here. It sounds like you might be setting the defaults in the menu, but then never then selecting text and applying that style to it. Not all containers in BookSmart have a default type set, in which case just changing the properties of "body" in the window wouldn’t necessarily change their typed-in text.

BookSmart does have a case of sometimes having fonts change size, while we are looking it that, I’m not sure that is what you are referring to. 

Hope this helps a bit.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Aug 3, 2009 2:09pm PDT
kathybad

Thanks Kathy for the input. Just a moment ago, I had a little brainstorm, a nice little compostion for my book. But, I kind of lost my train of thought again, because the font kept reverting back to nine point. Just a little bit ago, I noticed on a chapter cover page, a period was at 9 pt instead of 13, and even that little dot took some effort. I followed that link, to see if there was something I’m missing. Let me go thru this again, otherwise I might never finish this book: I have a page in "edit layout’ and I have a text box selected. I go to custom styles in the drop down and select my preferred font style and size. I’m fine with Georgia now, since Booksmart insists I take it anyway (except sometimes now that the program knows I want Georgia, just to spite me, it reverts to Calibri! ). So I select what I want in the drop down. Why doesn’t it apply to the whole book? I select all the parts, body, caption, just to make sure it’s covered. Sometimes it stays at 13 point, and all is wonderful. Or at other times, it will just jump back to 9 point, even when I am simply correcting a typo, right in the middle of the correct font. I guess I might need some step by step insight on exactly how to set all text in the book (in advance, not having to go back over it and highlight. Thanks, Mark

Posted by
MarkMiller
Aug 4, 2009 6:22am PDT
MarkMiller

Hi Mark,

You might have found a bug in BookSmart. If you clear all formatting prior to pasting and it still doesn’t work, please contact us at tech support so we can do some research and file a bug. 

Thanks.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Aug 4, 2009 10:24am PDT
kathybad

There has to be a bug! I cannot keep a custom font & size (Ariel 12 pt.) in my text boxes on a consistent basis. Booksmart wants to revert back to Georgia 9 and Times Roman 9 or 10, many times even in bold. I have to keep darkening paragraphs, sentences and words and command the desirable font & size. Even when I paste text from Microsoft Word in the desirable font & size, it oftens reverts back to Booksmart’s default. Too many hours are lost on this process. Get it fixed.

Posted by
Y-Trekker
Aug 12, 2009 6:23am PDT
Y-Trekker

Hello Mark,

First choose the letter type and size you want for your text in the Style box for Body.
Then select your text in Booksmart and choose “Body”.
That should do it!
good luck,

Annemieke

Posted by
j.verkerk
Aug 16, 2009 12:31pm PDT
j.verkerk