Book Design and Imaging

Locked Black & white images in color book?

I am making a book in InDesign and was just about to upload my book when something crossed my mind about the color and b&w images in the book.

I’ve converted all my photos to the CMYK-profile Blurb provides.
But I also included some Black&White images in the book. If I convert them to the CMYK-profile they become really flat and ugly (no contrast). 
So I figured since they are not to be printed in color anyway, I’d just leave them in the AdobeRGB colorspace and not convert them to the CMYK-profile. But will they be printed correctly then?

Or is it not possible to print both color and b&w images in the same book? Who can give me the answer? Thanks a lot!

Posted by
Iris_1982
Aug 3, 2009 11:21am PDT
Iris_1982

It is reccomended that B&W images are not sent in as Greyscale, but mine were and have printed pretty good alongside RGB colour images. the colour images are very accurate to my fully calibrated screen. 

I know this does not help your question, but I am getting the impression from reading the forum that this whole set up is pretty hit and miss.

Posted by
Glyndebourne
Aug 12, 2009 11:01am PDT
Glyndebourne

convert them to RBG and they will look just fine

Posted by
frankLavelle
Aug 20, 2009 10:37am PDT
frankLavelle

Do not, and I repeat, do not convert your pictures to CYMK.  You have interpreted something wrong it you think that is what Blurb is telling you.

AdobeRBG is much closer to what you need than CYMK, but your photos should be in sRGB before submitting your book.

A computer does not know the difference between a color or b&w image using sRGB in a jpg format.  White and black are just colors, like any other color.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Aug 20, 2009 5:19pm PDT
Charybdis

That’s funny, this looks like the official word on B&W image prep:

http://forums.blurb.com/forums/4/topics/7020

But I am a newbie and now I don’t know wtf to do either!

Posted by
petronio
Aug 22, 2009 7:21am PDT
petronio

I had not seen these instructions before.  They are specific to B&W.  Unless something has changed, do not convert color photos to CYMK

The linked instructions also use InDesign and dump a pdf file.  Anybody know if you should convert to CYMK if only using jpgs in BookSmart?  What about full bleed jpgs from photoshop?

The first post to this thread implies he converted his color photos as well as his B&W’s.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Aug 22, 2009 11:53pm PDT
Charybdis

Hi Mike.

The rules have not changed if you are using BookSmart, whether full bleed or not, the FAQ still says JPEG or PNG, sRGB only, everything else gives it the hives.

My understanding is the "new" rules, as described in the link above and in the PDF to Book Publishing Guide, are for when when creating a PDF for upload using InDesign or whatever.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 23, 2009 12:13am PDT
tfrankland

Tony is correct. The best practices outlined here  (http://forums.blurb.com/forums/4/topics/7020) are for PDF to Book only. That said, let’s separate best practices in preparing B&W images for digital offset (Blurb books on the HP Indigo press) from color management.

1. Best practices when preparing B&W images for use in BookSmart
(for PDF to book look here)

The biggest challenge in printing B&W images in a 4-color process is the potential for the introduction of a color cast. A color cast is caused when the color space is converted down from the much larger RGB color spaces (sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhoto, etc) to CMYK. This is the case in any four-color process. There is also an accepted amoount of color drift within the digital offset presses. This is slight and must meet the acceptable delta as outlined by HP, but while most would never notice a slight shift in Cyan by three in a color image, it i smore noticeable in  black and white images.

Ok, so what to do? The best thing you can do is to be sure there is no underlying color cast in your images prior to importing to Blurb BookSmart. Here’s how:

1. We recommend to open all of your images in Photoshop and run them through the ‘Black & White’ adjustment filter.
  2. You’ll find this option under the menu item ‘Image > Adjustments > Black & White’.
  3. This will pop-up a dialog with many ways to ‘tweak’ this. I usually just accept the default settings and press ‘OK’ , but there are Adobe tutorials to enjoy if you’d like more detail there.
  4. This will remove any color cast from your image that may exist even if it is not visible on screen.

What about just desaturating the images or converting to greyscale and then back to RGB. Both will work to remove the color cast, but may result in duller, muddier images. the B&W filter allows you more control over the conversion to B&W and attempts to take into account the perceptual differences in hue and saturation (more like B&W film) which desaturate or greyscale mode does not.

2. Color space for BookSmart
(for PDF to book look here)
BookSmart works in sRGB and will convert all RGB color spaces (Adobe RGB, ProPhoto) to sRGB on import. BookSmart does not accept CMYK images at this time. You have a choice then to convert all of your images to sRGB (using Convert to Profile) which gives you full control over render intent, or just let BookSmart do this conversion on import. See the video link below if you are interested in more on this.

This video webinar we created with X-rite is a great walkthrough of color management with Blurb:
http://www.xritephoto.com/default.aspx?MenuItemID=460&MenuGroup=Products&#Blurb

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Chad

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Aug 25, 2009 11:56am PDT
CapnScrappy

Sorry, but in my Photoshop, I do not see “Black + White” under Adjustments. I see “Greyscale” under “mode,” but not anything remotely like black and white…

Posted by
nancyaaron
Feb 25, 2011 5:31pm PDT
nancyaaron

I would hate to disgree with Blurb Staff but I suggest that you read the following post http://forums.blurb.com/forums/10/topics/8249#posts-35099 

I worked on this primarily for PDF to book but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work for Booksmart. It gets around the inherent problems of getting good neutrals with the 4 colour process and still gives good gradation. In the end the only real answer is to do a small test book and see what gives you the images that you like best. 

Posted by
robinsinton
Feb 26, 2011 4:34am PDT
robinsinton