Book Design and Imaging

Can I make my 12 X 12 into another smaller book?

I want to create another book, exactly the same as the 12 × 12 I’ve already made. Is there any way of doing this without having to create a whole new book?

Thanks,

Kate.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
MrsFusco
Aug 13, 2009 12:43pm PDT
MrsFusco

I have a feeling this isn’t possible but I’m with you. This is #1 on my wishlist and i know other users who feel exactly the same.
Even if it was possible to make smaller books withe same ratio (13×11 to 10-8) – that at least would be a start. Blurb please, please, please make this happen. It would be totally super.

Dave

Posted by
dmac1144
Aug 17, 2009 2:49pm PDT
dmac1144

I’ll add my name to the list as well.  My requirement is other way, but the prinicple is the same. 

Thanks.

Posted by
jules75
Aug 18, 2009 5:52am PDT
jules75

I would agree with this, I have done a couple of 13×11 books and would like a 10×8 version, but can’t be bothered to resize all of the images and re-insert them again.

Posted by
BarryHill
Aug 26, 2009 8:47am PDT
BarryHill

This would be a good feature for buying a less expensive test print before printing something large.

Posted by
Schaeffer_S
Sep 2, 2009 7:54am PDT
Schaeffer_S

I’m wanting to make a 7×7 square book into a 12×12 one, so I’m definitely interested in having this feature added!!

In the meantime, any tips or tricks for how to do it?  I’m presuming that at least the layouts etc would be the same for the 12×12 book – but it’s still a huge effort to do all the resizing and so on to make it look just the same.  And I’m not 100% sure that all my photos will be high enough resolution.

What sort of things might speed up the process?  (besides just importing the library from the first book).  Or any tricks to help me get it identical to the original??

thanks. 

Posted by
RobynUK
Sep 10, 2009 2:14pm PDT
RobynUK

A book I’m working on now started out in 7×7 size. I decided it wasn’t as big as I wanted & I started new one in 10×8. I opened the book, clicked on File, then Duplicate book. I changed the sizing to the bigger version. I thought I would have to redo everything but it was much easier than I expected. I enlarged some of the photo containers. Most of them did not get that nasty little sign indicating wrong size. I did resize some of the photos. My book will only have 40 pgs. & the resizing wasn’t that difficult. Larger books would probably take longer. You could duplicate your book in the new size & see how many of the photos would need changing. Good luck.

Posted by
loricherokee
Sep 10, 2009 2:51pm PDT
loricherokee

I just sent an email about this last week! I make all of my books 12×12 and want to print some of them in a smaller size for a grandparent.  The answer is that there is no way of doing it.  It is frustrating to me because it should be easy to convert compatiable sizes.

Posted by
tori.easton
Sep 19, 2009 8:51pm PDT
tori.easton

I’m having the exact same problem as the original post.
I want to make a smaller 7×7 parent album of the 12×12 I already made.
The post by loricherokee looks promising. I found the “duplicate book” function, but how did you
“change the sizing to a bigger version.” ? I cant find that anywhere.

Posted by
atieuli
Nov 2, 2009 7:24am PDT
atieuli

I have been thinking about this as well. I was going to try to learn indesign more and create the book as a pdf.  There will be more work up front, but 12×12 to 7×7 would be a simple downsizing.

Posted by
jgehrt
Nov 2, 2009 1:28pm PDT
jgehrt

yeah. i think that may be the only choice. ( indesign )

Posted by
atieuli
Nov 4, 2009 4:27pm PDT
atieuli

I just ASSUMED this could be done, because Shutterfly does it in an instant. That’s WHY I chose the 12×12 so I make it into a small square brag book.   How unfortunate!

Posted by
preussn
Nov 5, 2009 9:07am PDT
preussn

I was taught many years ago,by my boss at the time, that ASSUME makes an ASS of U and ME. But I know where you are com ing from I still do that too often and always live to regret it. She taught me that 15 years ago so you’d think I’d learnt by now.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 5, 2009 9:12am PDT
tfrankland

if there is a petition, i will sign it.

for me, i’m wanting to make a 7×7 version of a wedding album i created into a 12×12 version. 

blurb… add this feature, please?

Posted by
brookeseller
Dec 8, 2009 7:49pm PDT
brookeseller

I will add myself to the list of having spent months to update a book I did 2 years ago in 8 × 10 to a higher quality image wrap 11 × 13 assuming all the sizes were adjustable upon checkout. I really hope the tech side can find a way to accommodate, because I simply don’t have time to redo a 200 page book.

Posted by
DeshawRae
Feb 27, 2010 11:32am PDT
DeshawRae

I guess this IS the petition. I am on board. My book will not be done for months. I wanted a smaller one to see how it would look to date. Cannot do a thing about it :(

Posted by
shopn4her
May 5, 2010 3:38pm PDT
shopn4her

I’m signing the petition. its ridiculous that if the proportions are the same that you can’t drop down or bump up a size. doesnt seem like itd really be that difficult to program

Posted by
pjstg23
May 8, 2010 3:20pm PDT
pjstg23

Tony, she must have been a fan of Felix Unger:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065329/quotes

Posted by
gh3423
May 8, 2010 9:39pm PDT
gh3423

I’m signing too. Same situation, made a 12 × 12 and need a 7 × 7. Seriously, it should not be this difficult :(

Posted by
Mere2325
Jun 3, 2010 8:41pm PDT
Mere2325

I agree.  It should be an easy feature to just transfer everything that is in a 7 × 7 book into a larger one.  It shouldn’t be this hard to do it.  The program itself shouldn’t be as difficult to use as it is.

Posted by
Akunda4
Jun 5, 2010 10:38pm PDT
Akunda4

I have the same sort of wish. I would like to print my landscape book  in both standard and large size in a simple way without having to import all my images a new. 

Posted by
gmshooykaas
Aug 30, 2010 3:28am PDT
gmshooykaas

I can understand why people would want this feature – but I’m not sure I would trust Blurb to resize all my images for me (no offence intended).  Maybe I’m a control freak!?

Posted by
woodworm001
Sep 10, 2010 12:52pm PDT
woodworm001

I would expect to have to go back through the converted book to clean it up, but any type of transfer would be a great start!

Posted by
LJ2b2c
Sep 27, 2010 5:58am PDT
LJ2b2c

Due to the fact that a book layout is designed to say 8×10″, its not possible to resize without redoing the layout to a new size. If Bulb simply shrank or distorted to fit the new size you would not be happy at all with the results.

Posted by
Reedie
Sep 27, 2010 6:44am PDT
Reedie

So don’t allow all transfers.  But any square to square or landscape to landscape should be OK.  I’d go through and make any fine tuning adjustments required.  Sure would beat starting from scratch!

Obviously this is not a layout issue, so there must be some technical hurdle we don’t know about.  I just hope it is resolved at some point in the future.

Posted by
LJ2b2c
Sep 29, 2010 1:26pm PDT
LJ2b2c

FYI, just as a test, I took the proof pdf from a large landscape book I am working on, converted the pages to png files and used Autoflow to create a small landscape book with a full bleed for each page.  Other than the watermark, you would be amazed at how good it looks!  We can’t be that far away.

Posted by
LJ2b2c
Sep 30, 2010 5:17pm PDT
LJ2b2c

Signing my name to the petition.  I am in the midst of comparing all photobook sites prior to starting a business where I will using the chosen site for numerous books per week.  I would like to use Blurb, but this is a very large issue that will effect my decision greatly.  As someone else posted, you can do it on Shutterfly VERY easily.  It can’t be that big of a deal.  I saw a post from Blurb back in 2007 that said it was coming soon.  Any update on that???

Posted by
rfrench1
Oct 7, 2010 5:24pm PDT
rfrench1

Yes – we need this feature! Blurb, let’s go!

Posted by
brack411
Oct 10, 2010 3:46pm PDT
brack411

+1 for me – as many others have stated, even a change within the same ‘aspect ratio’ would be ideal. Some people won’t pay for the full size landscape, but might buy it in the smaller size. It’d be great if I could maintain one ‘master’ book and allow them to choose sizes at checkout.

Posted by
MarkHood
Dec 4, 2010 9:45am PDT
MarkHood

I requested this feature years ago, I still would like to see it.

Posted by
kickstand
Dec 10, 2010 2:15pm PDT
kickstand

Here, here – count me in, I want this feature!

Posted by
saricher
Dec 10, 2010 9:55pm PDT
saricher

One more to the plight

Posted by
jbolanos1
Dec 11, 2010 4:32am PDT
jbolanos1

Im all for this as well.
I just made a 12×12 in indesign with the plan of resizing to 7×7 and ran into an interesting snag. If you look at the true page sizes the 7×7 isn’t actually square. My request is twofold. Make it square AND give us the option to rip it to the smaller format as needed. One book, one upload, 2 print sizes.

Posted by
datnewf
Dec 11, 2010 6:34am PDT
datnewf

Me too!

it really shouldn’t be too dificult. Other book printing companies offer this, so it is possible.

Posted by
littlered6
Dec 19, 2010 2:15pm PDT
littlered6

I want this to happen too. I’d like to make the same book—but bigger! Please, Blurb!

Posted by
eleanor04
Jan 17, 2011 8:31pm PDT
eleanor04

GET IT DONE BLURB, I HAVE HUNDREDS OF REQUESTS FOR A 7X7 VERSION OF MY 12X12 WEDDING ALBUMS.

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN OPTION WITH YOUR FIRST VERSION OF BOOKSMART.

I DONT UNDERSTAND!!!!

Posted by
jvbriggs
Jan 24, 2012 7:48am PDT
jvbriggs

There is no need to SHOUT.

If you took the time to look at the FAQ you would have found that this is already possible if you used BookSmart to create your book.

And as an aside, when BookSmart was first released there was not an option of a large square book, so pointless building it into the program.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 24, 2012 8:23am PDT
tfrankland