Book Design and Imaging

HELP PLEASE! Struggling to convert Canon CR2 files to 300dpi JPEGs

I’m limited by the software available to me. I have PS Elements 4.0 and Picasa 3 and am trying to convert CR2 files to BookSmart-compatible files. Picasa will easily convert CR2 to JPEG but at a resolution of 72 or 96dpi, no matter what I do to them. All the reading I’ve done suggests that this is way too low for good quality printed images. But after weeks of preparation and design of my book (a philanthropic project for a rural community), I just can’t get the images right. Of course PS elements won’t read CR2 files… does anyone have any ideas for me? I’ve made too many promises to give up on this.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Afrojunkie
Sep 9, 2009 4:16am PDT
Afrojunkie

Use Picasa to convert to JPG. At this point the DPI is irrelevent. Yes if they we printed at 72DPI  the quality would be awful but then again a 1000×1000pixel image would be approx 3.5m x 3.5m.

I only have elements 7 but hopefully this existed in 4:-

Load the image into elements and  go to image menu ->  resize -> image size

Enter 300 in the DPI box, REMOVE the tick from resample Image box. Then click OK. All this does is make the JPG report as 300DPI, there is no change in the number of pixels in the image.

Save the file.

Posted by
as_crawford
Sep 9, 2009 6:03am PDT
as_crawford

CR2 is a type of  “Raw Image File”, basically the unprocessed data straight from your camera. Raw Image Files are a good thing to have because you get way more control over contrast, brightness, color space, among other things.

Down side is that you have to convert the file into something usable like .JPG or .TIF

Sounds like your using software that is not 100% compatible with “CR2” files, and only reading a “preview file” (a low res .jpg file created by the camera and embedded in CR2 file so when you hit the preview button on your camera you can see your images)

Your camera should have come with software to convert your CR2 files into other formats. Depending on how many images you have I might be willing to help convert them.

Posted by
chrisz170
Sep 9, 2009 2:19pm PDT
chrisz170

ThIs is why I love forums! Thank you both! I’ll try either/both of these options today. ….. never thought of trying the camera software……. :-]

Chrisz170, I really appreciate your offer, but I have a BUNCH of images. Let me try these suggestions first…

Posted by
Afrojunkie
Sep 9, 2009 11:51pm PDT
Afrojunkie

IT WORKED! Thank you both again!

Converted to JPG in Picasa, then resized in Elements and got what I wanted. 

ALSO, used the Canon Zoombrowser software, but only after a bit of updating. Been reading about loads of problems processing RAW files, but the following worked, with some advice from Canon:

I have Zoombrowser 6.1.1 which did not support RAW procesing. Had to update it to include the fix for RAW processing – found it here: http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0200032305.html.

There are comprehensive guidelines for technoplebs like myself to follow. Tried it with one image and so far, so good. The advantage of using this over the first image is that I can batch process direct from the RAW files.

Yehaa! On to making books…!

Posted by
Afrojunkie
Sep 11, 2009 5:21am PDT
Afrojunkie

Canon was (still is to best of my knowledge) packaging an app called DPP (Digital Photo Professional) that, among other things, converts CR2 to high quality JPG. Here’s a link to Canon’s site:  http://www.usa.canon.com/content/dpp2/index.html. DPP might be a better choice than Picasa since, the last time I checked, Picasa really constrained the image resolution (72 or 96 PPI if I remember correctly). With DPP, I routinely keep resolution at 300+ppi through the entire workflow. Happy booking!

Posted by
vafitz
Sep 11, 2009 11:15am PDT
vafitz