Book Design and Imaging

Stability - or otherwise - of the 'bold' feature; also Q ref contest

Hi – I’m new at this and it’s turning out to be a lot more work than I expected – I’ll be okay with that, though, as long as it comes out the way I expect it to – hence my question ref the bold feature.

I’m trying to put a block of text under a pic, in a text box, and highlight a word here and there as bold. Everything then changes by itself. I can have a page exactly the way I want it to be and then go off to work on another one, and then come back to the first one and it’s changed all the text to bold.

If it’s like this now, then how do I know my formatting will survive through the printing process?

If you don’t think it will, then I’d like to know now so I can think of a different way of achieving the effect I want rather than wasting any more time doing it this way.

Also – the book contest – when it says photos – it has to be photos does it? I can’t enter a book that is entirely artwork? Just thought I’d ask on the offchance. I have noticed people using the word ‘photos’ as a generic term covering all kinds of pics.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
SusanAlison
Oct 3, 2009 7:24am PDT
SusanAlison

Concerning your first question:

I have had similar issues with Booksmart in the past. However, I only had a few problematic pages… Here’s something you can do;

• copy that problematic text in a Word document,
  • highlight the text in question,
  • select "Edit" > "Clear" > "Formats",
  • add a new page to your book and paste the text from your Word Document.

According to technical support, this may get ride of some formatting problems. However, if you’re having this sort of issue on several pages, this solution may be quite time consuming…

If you need more information, I strongly suggest contacting Technical Support.

As for your second question: it would be wise to contact General Support to be sure, but I would assume that your reasoning is correct. 

I hope you’ll soon find a solution; I know how frustrating it can be to edit text in Booksmart!

Sophie :)

Posted by
sophieadd
Oct 4, 2009 8:13am PDT
sophieadd

Hi  Sophie – thank you very much for your reply. I have tried it your way and every which way and all the other ways as well, and it’s not just the bold. It’s a complete nightmare. It doesn’t hold any of the formatting when you change pages, and certainly not when you go into edit layout.

And I’ve given up totally on my choice of font. It wants Georgia. It can have it.

But the rest of the text formatting is just frustrating. I can’t believe I can’t see fifty million (or nearly that number) of other posts about it….

Anyway, didn’t mean to rant. I just don’t have these enormous chunks of time to waste.

I’ve tried using tech support on other sites and ended up just about hospitalized with fury.

Thank you, though.

Susan (not quite hospitalized but simmering)

Posted by
SusanAlison
Oct 4, 2009 1:18pm PDT
SusanAlison

Susan…I’ve got the same problem as you.   "Georgia" would always be at the top as the font I was using, even though I wasn’t using Georgia.  I was using Comic Sans.  Every time I went in to edit a page, either one letter or a word, it would type is as Georgia and a different size.  It took me forever to go in and make all these changes back to Comic and the correct size.  Then I’d go to the next page and something would be off there, either spacing or centering.   It was a nightmare, and took me about four hours to get everything changed back correctly…and should have taken me less than two minutes.  I’m actually afraid to go and look at the book now, afraid something will change again, or that I’ll find something I’ve missed!   Anyhow…I wrote Tech Support, but by the time they replied, I think I had all the changes made.  I was told to send in a page to them so they could see what was happening, but like I said, all the corrections are made, so I’m afraid to mess with it again.  Anyhow…I just thought I’d let you know that you’re not the only one!

Posted by
camack
Oct 5, 2009 8:12am PDT
camack

heh – thanks for that – I couldn’t quite believe it was only me.

Actually, I see that there are now several people suffering the same problem of not being able to hold text formatting. I just hope that having spent far too much time messing about trying to get it right, it doesn’t all disappear in the printing process.

Have you had your book printed? Did the formatting hold for that?

Posted by
SusanAlison
Oct 8, 2009 1:15am PDT
SusanAlison

I’ve got the book in the Bookstore, but I haven’t ordered a copy yet.  I’ll be doing it within the next week or so.  I’m sure it will be ok.  I have "previewed" every page in the bookstore…and they are all fine, all the formatting has stayed, so I would imagine it would stay in the printing process.

Posted by
camack
Oct 8, 2009 6:24am PDT
camack

Susan,

If technical support cannot be of any help and you can’t seem to fix your format permanently in Booksmart, I would suggest editing your text in another program and importing every page as PNGs if you want to purchase your books with Blurb.

- Photoshop would probably be the best and easiest way to do it. If you do not have access to the software, I would suggest downloading a free program such as "MAGIX Photo Clinic 4.5". It’s not as ideal as Photoshop to edit text (I’m not sure if you can past your text into MAGIX or if you need to write the whole thing again) but it would still do the job and you wouldn’t have to worry about Booksmart anymore. I’m familiar with this program, others may work as well…

• You can download the program by clicking HERE.
  • You’ll first need to create a file of the correct size for your chosen book format. You can find all the information you need HERE.
  • Before importing your edited text to Booksmart, you’ll need to save the file in MAGIX. By default, your file should save in JPG. What you want to do is to "Save as…" > "PNG".

Import all of your files into Booksmart and you’ll be ready to print!

- There are also programs to convert a Word Document to a PNG file. You can try this last option by downloading "Image Printer" HERE.

• install the program on your computer and set it to convert Word Docs into PNG,
  • open the Word Document containing your text,
  • click on "File" > "Print" and select "ImagePrinter" as you "printer name"

I never used it so I’m not sure of how well it would convert but it’s worth checking out if you don’t have any other option with Blurb. :)

Good luck with your project!

Posted by
sophieadd
Oct 8, 2009 8:59am PDT
sophieadd

The last option should give you this sort of result. Best to upload to a "Standard Portrait" book format. You would end up with something like this

If none of it is working, just get someone to do the work for you! Less headache!

Cheers,

Posted by
sophieadd
Oct 8, 2009 9:14am PDT
sophieadd