Book Design and Imaging

Help with understanding trimming guides and the pink border please.

Hi,
I’m doing a 7″ × 7″ book with the pictures bleeding to the edges.
I understand the red dotted scissor line is where the book will be trimmed, but am confused by the additional pink border which is quite big and seems to cover a lot of the image. Why do do we need this and the red scissor line. Where will the image be cut ?
Thanks
LizzyPix

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
lizzypix
Oct 4, 2009 4:25am PDT
lizzypix

Hi Lizzy,

I believe that those pink stripes you’re referring to are extra pointers. You should avoid putting critical material inside those pink stripes.

While the trim guidelines can give you a good idea of where your book will be trimmed, it may not be 100% accurate. For that reason, you want to keep all critical elements (text, head shots, etc.) away from those stripes.

Hope this helps!

Sophie :)

Posted by
sophieadd
Oct 4, 2009 7:55am PDT
sophieadd

Thanks.  I was wondering too what those stripes meant.

Posted by
friend1979
Oct 4, 2009 7:59pm PDT
friend1979

Thanks Sophie, I’ve just shrunk all my 287 pages to fit them in!!! Trouble is that the pink stripes take up a huge proportion of the page when your doing a seven inch square book!

Posted by
lizzypix
Oct 5, 2009 9:10am PDT
lizzypix

I am also confused because the red scissor line is supposed to indicate where the page will be cut. The idea of the pink zone seems to be that Blurb is covering its options just in case the page wasn’t actually cut at the red line in case of customer complaints. Point is, when you want a full bleed, where should we put the edge of the image. If we put it to the inside edge of the pink zone, top, left, bottom and right, will we still get a full bleed?

Posted by
petero
Aug 15, 2010 3:39am PDT
petero

I made 30×30cm pages in PS and uploaded them as JPEG’s. It looks exactly like I planned in BookSmarts preview. I received the book today and lots of edges has fallen of and to be honest, the whole idea of my book is sestroyed.

So yes, I would like to know too if you want a full bleed, where to put the edge of the image … on the red dotted line of within the pink area?

Now this book was for myself, but I want to have a wedding album printed the same way and I really need to know whether the book will be printed like I see in the preview.

Posted by
AnitaServaas
Oct 18, 2010 7:27am PDT
AnitaServaas

check out this FAQhttp://blurb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/461/session/L3NpZC9vZnpfRk9jaw%3D%3D/sno/0  It shows the image outside the pink area. I don’t know why we have both a scissor line & the pink area. I have done full bleed w/edges outside pink area & they printed correctly. It is hard to get the edges of your image exactly on the pink area though-takes time & patience.

Posted by
loricherokee
Oct 18, 2010 8:39am PDT
loricherokee

The way I interpret that FAQ is the trim lines are the likely point of trim, but as trimming is a mechanical process there can be slight variations so to play safe you shouyld not put any critical part of your image (such as the top of a person’s head) inside the pink zone.

It is important that your full bleed images go right to the edge of the page, thus beyond the trim line. If you have the image exactly on the trim line there is a danger, if the trim is slightly less, that you could get a white strip along the edge of the page.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Oct 18, 2010 9:28am PDT
tfrankland