Book Design and Imaging

Is there really a downside to photos above 300DPI?

The reason I ask is because I have seen the recommendations that there may be artifacts caused by the resizing to 300dpi when printing. The problem with uploading at exactly 300dpi is that if I somewhere into my project decide to zoom in on my 300dpi photo, then it is no longer at 300dpi. Or if I decide to change from one container size to a larger container size the image is no longer at 300dpi So then I have to resize and import the image again. That’s stone-age and takes away all the spontaneous changes and experimenting in Blurb. Instead I import the photo at the highest possible resolution and then I can resize or change containers whenever I want.

If there is truly a problem that might lead to artifacts in the resizing process for printing then I would recommend that you find a different program to resize, but why on earth should a commercial printing company have poorer tools to resize than a single user with PS or Elements? If this is indeed the case, then I would suggest as a new feature that you add a resizing function into Blurb which resizes the image to the appropriate size when it is time to publish, but keeps the original as well.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Kingfisher
Oct 8, 2007 10:29am PDT
Kingfisher

Hi Kingfisher.  There is no need to resize your image files to exactly 300 dpi.  Our recommendation for 300 dpi as maximum is not about artifacting but just that files over that size are really overkill for a product at 175 line screen.  Plus larger files may degrade the performance of BookSmart depending on the platform you are using.

Best,

—bw 

Posted by
bruce
Oct 8, 2007 10:57am PDT
bruce Icon_staff

Good answer! Thanks for the clarification and the quick response. Btw my last book was 146 pages and over 250MB and the performance has been just fine.

Michael

Posted by
Kingfisher
Oct 8, 2007 11:53am PDT
Kingfisher

I’ve heard some people recommend a dpi exactly double the line screen for best results (here, 350 dpi for the 175 line screen). True? Maybe? Urban Legend?

Alan

Posted by
williams406
Nov 21, 2007 8:44am PDT
williams406