Book Design and Imaging

Design Tips for Book w/o Text

I photographed a company "Holiday Party" and now I have to design a book of the evenings photos…

My questions are these:

Should I keep the same pattern of photos from page to page (example 4 photos…) I do NOT know how to design the layout of the book and my start is looking kinda un-uniform. 

Any layout suggestions for a book with out any text?

thanks 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
secondbob
Dec 27, 2009 5:52pm PDT
secondbob

That is a very difficult question!  It is very much a matter of personal preference.

For my own part I find a variety of layouts adds interest as you do not quite know what to expect as you turn the page, but there are some really good books in the store that simply have one photo per page - I suspect if I was doing a portfolio of my photos that is the way I would do it.

Can I suggest you have a browse of the books in the Blurb Bookstore? Plus you can see one of my photo books that varies the page layout here. The 13" x 11" template has a choice of about 50 photo layouts to choose from, I used around 10 of those. I’m not sure that using every one and having every page different would be a good effect, but I suspect there are some designers in the forums who could pull it off.

You’ll find the full list of book store categories here, so dip in and try and get some ideas.

I’m looking forward to seeing other people’s views on this, it was a good question.

Good luck!

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 28, 2009 3:10am PDT
tfrankland

Tony is right (again). This is a very subjective thing. I started out just placing one image per page in the same layout , or full-bleeding every page. But I’ll bet as you go through the pics a few will jump out as being special. You might just feature a those – full page. I suggest you don’t worry about perfect design (there is no such thing), just let your images do the talking.

Posted by
wiliamhoard
Dec 28, 2009 6:15pm PDT
wiliamhoard