Book Design and Imaging

Should I just convert my images to CMYK for the upload?

Would it be easier if I just convert all of my book images to CMYK for the upload to Blurb?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
dmatherly
Dec 28, 2009 4:05pm PDT
dmatherly

Not enough information.  Are you uploading pdf files, or are you using Booksmart?  Booksmart must have sRGB files.  I haven’t produced a pdf book yet, but my understanding is it requires CYMK.

It is not a question of "should" or "easier", it is a question of must and required.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Dec 28, 2009 5:58pm PDT
Charybdis

If you are using BookSmart you must upload RGB files. The conversion is built right into the RIP at the presses and seems to work well. You do have the option of sending CMYKs in the PDF workflow, but if your images are saved as sRGB they should be fine. The possible exception is if you have balck & white images. You can improve your odds of keeping them neutral by going to CMYK with a ‘long’ black.

Posted by
wiliamhoard
Dec 28, 2009 6:01pm PDT
wiliamhoard

Thanks. That answers my question.  My CS4 workspace is Adobe RGB (1998) so I will have to convert my image files to sRGB.

David

Posted by
dmatherly
Dec 29, 2009 2:35pm PDT
dmatherly

Sorry. Forgot to mention that I am using Booksmart software for the book.

David

Posted by
dmatherly
Dec 29, 2009 2:36pm PDT
dmatherly

Wiliam

I know that it’s a bit like "How long is a bit of string?" but how long a black would you suggest for B/W CMYK from sRGB. I googled it and everybody seems to have their own ideas.

Robin

Posted by
robinsinton
Dec 30, 2009 6:50am PDT
robinsinton

Robin,

Yes it is pretty subjective. I’d use the PhotoShop standard GCR setting for starters. In your B&W images your eyedropper should show the K leading in the shadows and 3/4 tones, with the cyan in second place. How did the B&W images in your Images Fixee book come out?

Posted by
wiliamhoard
Dec 30, 2009 12:59pm PDT
wiliamhoard

Wiliam

I was more than happy with the quality of the B/W images. I did a test book using soft proofed images and if you didn’t have the originals to compare with the printed version you wouldn’t see the difference. There is very slight metamerism depending upon the viewing conditions and a hint of slight cyan showing in some extreme highlights on a couple of pictures but I only see it because I know the originals. One thing that I did do is apply a very gentle curve to lift the midtones. It isn’t much but it stops them being "heavy". I also used Photokit Sharpener and that works well.

I showed the book to an experienced graphic designer at a firm that I do some work for and he was amazed at the quality (so much so that he’s bought a copy..). I fully accept that using CMYK will test any neutrals so I was interested in your comments and will do some experiments when I start on the next book. If I was just starting a book I wouldn’t worry about just using sRGB for the B/W images but it would be nice to see just how good they will go.

Robin

Robin

Posted by
robinsinton
Dec 30, 2009 2:53pm PDT
robinsinton