Book Design and Imaging

Can I input the words in a vertical direction?

Hello everyone,

I want to type my photo’s name in a vertical direction, but it seems I can only input the words from left to right, can I rotate it by 90 degree?

Thank you.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
zealotmat
Jan 20, 2010 4:52pm PDT
zealotmat

Hi Zealotmat,

BookSmart currently only supports horizontal text.

There are a couple of ways that you can go around this.

1. You can go into BooKSmart’s Edit Layout mode (located at the top left corner of the tool bar), and great vertically long text boxes and move them to where you’d want them to be. Then you can input the title of the image letter by letter, hitting the return key after each letter. This would create the vertical text. Please note, however, that this many hard returns might produce issues if the text is too long or if it’ll need to be edited much in the future.

2. Another option is to create the vertical text in another program that supports this feature and then save the text as an image. You can then import this JPEG into BooKSmart. You can, again, use BookSmart’s Edit Layout mode to move the Image Box (that will contain the text jpeg) to where you’d want it to be. The downside of this is that the text might or might not be as sharp as you’d want it to be.

I hope this helps and good luck!

– Geary

Posted by
begreative
Jan 20, 2010 7:04pm PDT
begreative Icon_staff

How can a software propose horizontal and vertical layout, but doesn’t allow to rotate text ?

Seriously.

Posted by
Deathtiny42
May 17, 2010 10:59am PDT
Deathtiny42

Hi zealotmat,

This is my work-around for large landscape books & it isn’t ideal: change the layout of your page – look under Chapter Layouts &  take the second option, i.e. the one with vertical text on the left hand side. If you want the text box bigger or smaller, or want to change the shape or number of photos, go to Edit layout & do just that. (It may be a different set-up in other page settings, but I’m not coming out of the book I’m working on to check, I’m afraid!)

Now, for safety’s sake I’d recommend that you copy & paste the page you’re working on, so that you can always have the original to fall back on. (I know you can do undo, but…)

It’s a pain, but that’s the way I’d do it. Faute de mieux.

Good luck!

Sarah Graham

Posted by
SarahGraham
Jun 7, 2010 1:15pm PDT
SarahGraham