Book Design and Imaging

Image quality in booksmart bad comparing to iPhoto

Hi All,

I created a photobook in iPhoto, but then i discovered Blurb.. And it really sounds all beter to work with Blurb instead of iPhoto. So i just started my book all over again in Booksmart. But when i am comparing the photo’s in Booksmart with the originals in iPhoto, or finder for that matter.. De image quality of an image just dragged in to Booksmart, the image looks like a bad JPEG compression, is this just the onscreen quality of the Booksmart software or is this how it’s going to look when printed out.

Photo’s are 12MP, shot with Canon EOS 450D

Hopefully someone could give me some advice

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Lingod
Jan 22, 2010 6:49am PDT
Lingod

It’s just the onscreen quality.  Booksmart makes reduced quality/resolution copies of your photos to keep the speed of editing up.  Depending upon photo content, these reduced res copies can look anywhere from great, to totally crappy.  As long as you follow guidelines you shouldn’t have any problems.  A full res copy of the originals are what is uploaded for print. 

I have a Canon 20D (8,2MP) camera.  I just got a large portrait book back with across the binding full two page spreads that look great (this was done with photoshop).

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Jan 23, 2010 12:40pm PDT
Charybdis

Thank you.

Hope it turns out good

Posted by
Lingod
Jan 25, 2010 3:07am PDT
Lingod

i found the printed quality of booksmart to be really poor.  i was extremly unhappy with the finished book i received.  I recreated the same book using shutterfly and was very pleased.  the picture quality with shutterfly was far superior. 

Posted by
mdelarosa1
Feb 27, 2010 12:27am PDT
mdelarosa1