Book Design and Imaging

True image ratio sizes

Being professional photographers, we use up all of the frame in pics… (depending on subject)

Is there any plans for Blurb to print in true ratios? ie 6×4 , 12×8, etc

I dont like the bars (white space) and cannot crop the images to fit all in.

Also – would really like to see a coffee table size in landscape . Like 18×12 inch… options for 4pg spread fold out would be nice too.

What do you guys think ?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
lavenlaar
Mar 5, 2010 10:51pm PDT
lavenlaar

If you hover your mouse over an image container, including that on a full-bleed page, you will get a pop-up with the exact dimensions.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 6, 2010 12:42am PDT
tfrankland

I mean printing book pages in that format. I’d like to see FULL BLEED in 6×4 ratio

Posted by
lavenlaar
Mar 6, 2010 6:27pm PDT
lavenlaar

You can create your own custom page templates, and make the photo containers any size/ratio you want.

Posted by
jshook
Mar 8, 2010 7:37am PDT
jshook

Hello lavenlar;

The problem I think here, is that 3:2 is no longer the de-facto ‘common-standard’ for aspect ratios… Even in the (good-old ???) days of 35mm film there was always ‘large format’ 5:4 and ‘medium format’ 4:3…

There are now so many ‘standard’ aspect ratios available (3:2, 4:3, 5:4; 16:9 are just four typically available now in differing manufacturers DSLRs) that (for the value of Blurbs product) it would pretty-well be an impossibility to provide a range of books to cope with with all of these aspect ratios as ‘full-bleed’ books in multiples of 3 or 4 sizes.

In addition, of course, we can now crop any image to suit any aspect ratio that we want!

Realistically, I don’t see a way around this without either accepting some white (or other background colour) around the image; or cropping the image to fit a container – whether it’s a pre-set or a customised page build…

Posted by
lkb-28
Mar 8, 2010 8:30am PDT
lkb-28