Book Design and Imaging

Locked Blurb as eBook publisher?

There doesn’t seem to be a “Suggestions” area so I am posting here.

Why not consider the idea of making blurb into a creation/publication platform for eBooks? Having you own book on your coffee table is fun, but I suspect more people would actually buy blurb-produced books if they could get one for, say, $5-$10. I don’t expect to sell any books because of the pricing issues that have been recently discussed, but I might sell a few if the price could be low enough so that people might be willing to take a chance.

I know that most blurb books are photo books, and as far as I know the Kindle doesn’t do photos, but the iPad does, and it is bound to get some competition soon. I don’t know about eBook file formats, but this seems to be a developing market, so some standards may exist already.

Just a thought.

Posted by
jshook
Apr 23, 2010 5:49am PDT
jshook

I fully agree with you jshook! I have been going crazy just trying to make an affordable text version of my 8×10 prose-poetry/photo book, I have been halted on every turn. 1. I can’t export or import booksmart files. 2. Cannot slurp my blog to cheaper 5×8 version,..and this is the kicker, 3 tonight I have been trying the copy paste method which is near impossible,because I can’t have two of same program running at the same time for ease of transfer.

If this is truly to help artists create and sell, they sure have some holes in the process. These fixes would seem so helpful so we can all stay with the times to EPUBLISH and PDF file transfer without wasting hours on the process.

For the record, Blurb is cool. I like your template support and if you tweak with the user friendly stuff you will be hard to pass up. I guarantee I would sell tons of books at a cheaper production price. Something to think about?

Posted by
ashwillow
Apr 26, 2010 4:48pm PDT
ashwillow

I specifically asked Blurb for ebook capability on my second project. They said they would convey the request, but I don’t know how much urgency there really is on their end as I imagine it would mess with their bottom line too much. Still, if folks were downloading a book from Blurb as well as printing it, I would think there could be a little money made. How about it, Blurb?

Posted by
CraigDunham
Jun 14, 2010 3:10pm PDT
CraigDunham

i also agree i been wanting to get in connection with ebooks because it seems very popular at the moment especially with the release of the ipad

Posted by
Korleone
Jul 14, 2010 9:24am PDT
Korleone

I would love this – it really is the way forward, and could be so much more affordable..

Posted by
thesmu
Aug 10, 2010 5:51am PDT
thesmu

Here is some ideas about how to create your own eBook PDF files, it can be done with Adobe InDesign as well as Acrobat Pro on your own.

And, perhaps some of you should submit feedback and suggestion email support system at Blurb, and you might want to include this link of this forum discussion, so that someone from Blurb look into this forum.

Please note that not always that Blurb staff comes in and read every forum threads every time. That is why I suggest a link of reference to be submitted in your feedback/or suggestion email submission.

I hope this helps.

Brian | Passionately Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 10, 2010 7:20am PDT
brianbonitz

Thanks for the reply :D

I don’t see a link though?

Posted by
thesmu
Aug 10, 2010 7:26am PDT
thesmu

I agree with this idea. It is hard to compete with book stores especially when some of their large format books are on sale for as little as $5.00. Maybe these are not best sellers but still blurb books are small and expensive for the retail buyer. I have just one sale here to a family relative-no sales to the general public. Would e-sales really help? I think that the buyer still does not perceive a blurb book as high in quality to those books in a walk in book store. For $5-$10 maybe someone will take a chance on my e-book.

Posted by
FlyfishG
Aug 20, 2010 9:02pm PDT
FlyfishG

Hi. Has anything developed about the e-book option with blurb? I am wanting to go that way myself and if I can do that especially with I pad and other stuff becoming more user based………I think it all makes good sense. If blurb books arent cheap enough for retailers, then we all will slowly wander to other places or formats. I love blurb and want to stay but can they change…….

Posted by
blindpoet
Nov 18, 2010 6:47pm PDT
blindpoet