Book Design and Imaging

Best Font/Layout to use?

I thought I would try and make a book of my own but would be grateful for any advice before I mess things up.

I am not good at creative things so will struggle with a few things when trying to place images correctly on page and writing good text to go along with it, but could do with some good tips:-

I have decided the Standard Landscape book is best option as images would fit on that, if I take the large landscape its just too big for my purpose

1. What is the best optimal font to use in a standard landcape book?
  2. What is the best size of font to use?
  3. Some of my images have a black background. Is it a good idea to make the page background black too and make the text white?
  4.  Is it good practice to put a small border around images to make them clearer?
Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
gordonuk
Jun 25, 2010 11:28am PDT
gordonuk

I normally use nothing smaller than 12 for my font size – anything smaller can be difficult to read.  However, the rest of your questions are really a matter of personal preference.  I think once you start making your book and look at your preview you will be able to make decisions on your own personal likes and dislikes.

Posted by
Bebensee
Jul 7, 2010 8:50pm PDT
Bebensee

Read "The Non-Designers Design Book" and/or the "Non Designers Type Book" both by Robin Williams and published by the Peachpit Press. They are worth their wieght in gold.

Posted by
robinsinton
Jul 8, 2010 10:47am PDT
robinsinton