Book Design and Imaging

InDesign cover template bleed line to trim line width

On the 160 page InDesign hardcover 12×12 image wrap template, the distance between the cut line and the bleed line looks large. If the paper is cut at the trim line, would not everything from the cut line to the bleed line be trimmed off? What is the purpose of this area? Do I need to extend my images out to the bleed line to ensure that there are no white slivers around the edges of the cover? If I only extend the image to the trim line, do I risk getting white slivers around the edges? Does any of the cover wrap into the inside cover? Thanks….

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
acribb
Aug 11, 2010 6:56pm PDT
acribb

Yes the object of the distance between the cut line and the bleed line is to allow for any paper movement on the press – otherwise when you have a ‘full bleed’ image (where an image totally fills the page) and you do not size it up to the bleed line, there is a possibility of getting small areas of white paper at the edge of the image (white slithers as you called them.

On the hardback book this area is wrapped around to the inside of the cover so it is seen.
On perfect bound books the total area is cut off.

This is why you do need to extend your images to the bleed line – the area from the trim line to the bleed line will be cut off.

I hope this helps

Carl Middleton
Neat

Posted by
qwelomonko
Aug 13, 2010 6:44am PDT
qwelomonko

I’ve noticed that with my book, the trim happened about 1/16" INSIDE the trim line. This is disconcerting because I’ve been careful to keep essential information inside the trim lines—I’m using the InDesign Blurb PDF Export plugin. I’ve just made a few small changes to the book and I’ve ordered more copies of the new edition, so we’ll see if this was just a one-time thing, or if I need to ignore the bleed lines and work out to the trim lines instead.
-Michael

Posted by
nscadesign
May 4, 2013 6:48am PDT
nscadesign

Hey, i am jennifer from California, I will advertise your eBook across Asia, South Brazil, Australasia, Europe, North America, Russia Federation and Africa. Here is my
link: http://fiverr.com/jennifer22/advertise-and-promote-your-ebook-and-novel-across-seven-continent

Posted by
jennifer_22
Sep 20, 2013 11:00am PDT
jennifer_22