Book Design and Imaging

Resizing image for full bleed pages for 13 x 11 page book

This issue has generally been discussed in other topics, but I have not found the answer to my specific question.  My Nikon D90 (12.3 mp) creates a file size of 4,288 × 2,848 pixels.  Although the width is much larger than needed for a full bleed page, the height falls short.  What is the best way to crop or resize in Photoshop to create an image for full bleed page? 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
PeteM
Aug 18, 2010 9:52am PDT
PeteM

I use the pixel size given for the specific  photo container.

Posted by
loricherokee
Aug 18, 2010 2:06pm PDT
loricherokee

Pete,

Start with a blank PS document the size of the Blurb page you want to create.  You can download a template here:   https://sites.google.com/site/ps2blurb/

Open your image in another ps window.  Copy and paste the image into the blank document.  Since your picture is wider than tall, you either have to lose the right and/or left edges, or have bands of background above and/or below the picture.  The bands can be of different widths depending upon how much of the ends you can afford to lose. 

The easiest way to do this in PS is to zoom out until you can see all edges of the Blurb template.  Select the layer with the picture you want to scale.  Make sure the object select tool (top tool in the toolbox, looks like a pointer) is selected and click on the pasted photo.  If you are zoomed out far enough you should be able to see the corner handles.  Holding the shift key down, drag a corner handle of the picture until it is the size you want.  Drag the picture to align it in the template.  Notice, the handles are available even outside the template.  You do not need to crop the photo.  This way if you decide that you want a different scaling, you don’t need to start from scratch.  Save your photoshop docs as psd files.  When finished, save a copy for Booksmart as a jpg. 

Good Luck

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Aug 18, 2010 5:53pm PDT
Charybdis

Thank you both for the advice.

Posted by
PeteM
Aug 20, 2010 12:27pm PDT
PeteM