Book Design and Imaging

Pictures of my book

I ordered my first book on Friday last week and got it today! My birthday was yesterday, so it feels like a present! I’m very happy to report I really like the quality of the book!

I’m attaching a couple of pictures.

But of course, there are also some things I didn’t like:

- there was more space cut off of the front and back cover than I expected.
- the font I used (Trebuchet MS) printed quite bold which doesn’t really look proffesional.

So, what I learned:

- next time I won’t use a border around my picture on the front/back cover
- I will use a different font for a more proffesional look.

I like the quality of the paper and of the binding. Some pictures are a little darker in the book than on my computer, but it’s not disturbing. Some pictures also look a little dull, but most turned out great. I love the full bleeds!

I will definately make and order more books! I love Blurb! cover

cover

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
esvedea
Oct 25, 2007 3:58am PDT
esvedea

Looks very very nice, good work!! Nice photos.

Posted by
okokandrew
Oct 26, 2007 12:21am PDT
okokandrew

Delivery time: you live in the NL, don’t you? That’s why the delivery time was so short (if I understand Blurb’s workflow correctly, books for Europe are printed somewhere in the Netherlands).

Posted by
jan.rendek
Oct 26, 2007 2:54am PDT
jan.rendek

Yes, I live in the Netherlands. My book was delivered with UPS Saver so that’s fast, but it was also printed within 3 days! 

Posted by
esvedea
Oct 26, 2007 4:48am PDT
esvedea

Steffie,

I love your book too.

het kijkt prachtig! :)

Don’t worry. Your font look professional!

Nate. 

Posted by
nms
Oct 28, 2007 8:43pm PDT
nms

Steffie -

Thanks for posting pictures of your completed book. That helps all of us – me because I’m getting ready to send my first book in next week.

Two questions. How many pages are in your book AND is there anything on the hardcover part of your cover/spine or just on the cover flap? I was just wondering if they put the title and author on the spine and cover of the actual book book rather than just on the book cover. Let me know – you can email me directly as well as post your answer here. weakknees@gbpackersfan.com

Jeff

Posted by
belairjeff
Nov 10, 2007 5:21pm PDT
belairjeff

Hi Jeff,

My book is 160 pages. It only has printing on the flap of the book, not on the real cover, which is black.

Good luck with your book!

Steffie

Posted by
esvedea
Nov 12, 2007 11:40am PDT
esvedea

Hey Jeff, Good luck with your book. And GO PACKERS!

Posted by
drupnow
Nov 12, 2007 11:47am PDT
drupnow

Update: Today I got my second version of the book (again after only 4 business days!) and it looks even better. I changed the cover a bit: no white border around the picture anymore and colored flaps with a description of the book instead of just white without text. Looks much better! I can’t wait to make more books!

Posted by
esvedea
Nov 14, 2007 2:52am PDT
esvedea

Hi,

Looks good!

Wil alleen graag weten wat de verzendkosten zijn? Het lijkt me dat je boek in nederland is gedrukt, toch?

Alvast bedankt,

Inge 

Posted by
ingewagenaar
Nov 20, 2007 12:56pm PDT
ingewagenaar

Congrats on yoor book esvedea. Nice work!

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Nov 21, 2007 12:01pm PDT
CapnScrappy

hi hi esvedea,

i love your book….me sooo nervous…after hearing so much negative comments abt the books they got, reallie happy to see yours…is yours a soft cover or hard cover?? are both equally good??

Posted by
vantay
Nov 26, 2007 2:27am PDT
vantay

cool

Posted by
trafnar
Nov 27, 2007 3:35pm PDT
trafnar

Sorry for my late reply, thanks for all the reactions! UPS delivered my package and I think it was 6 or 7 euros or so. A couple of weeks later I ordered 3 books in one package and that was the same postage price.

I don’t think there is a reason to be nervous about the quality of the books. Most of the time people give negative reactions when posting on forums. So many people order books with Blurb, of course sometimes things can go wrong. And of course, there are just people that think nothing is good enough for them ;)

I have recommended Blurb to a lot of people already who all loved the quality. My book is a hardcover, which I love. I haven’t seen a softcolor one but I expect it’s quite nice too.

Posted by
esvedea
Nov 29, 2007 9:20am PDT
esvedea

Yes Hi, I like the look of your book. I am worried about the quality of the pictures. Do you feel your pictures look good? John

Posted by
johnnyeagle
Dec 2, 2007 4:43pm PDT
johnnyeagle

Hi John! Yes I think the photos are very nice quality!

Posted by
esvedea
Dec 5, 2007 5:43am PDT
esvedea

Thanks for the reply.good luck with your book!

Posted by
johnnyeagle
Dec 6, 2007 8:57pm PDT
johnnyeagle

hi all,

i just received my albums and i must say a BIG thanks to Blurb….you guys did a wonderful job….everyone who saw it loved it…i have taken some pics of the book & wanted to show u guys but i am a technology idiot and dun know how to insert pics here..lol…but trust me..it’s reallie good <sup>_</sup>

Posted by
vantay
Dec 6, 2007 9:39pm PDT
vantay

Hi Steffie,

Ziet er mooi uit. Hoe is de kwaliteit van de kaft, lijm en de foto’s?

Posted by
nickart
Apr 28, 2008 4:04pm PDT
nickart