Book Printing

Just recieved MY book too.....

Having just recieved my book which contains 120 or so reproductions of my drawings and watercolours, I must say that I am VERY pleased. In terms of colour fidelity and clarity I would say that the quality is quite high. Blurb says that they produce a book store quality product and I would agree. In fact my book has a BETTER quality of reproduction if I compare it to many art books I’ve purchased over the years.

Yes, I agree that it would be nice to have the option to have a book printed on a slightly heavier stock. Some modifications to the software may be welcome as well, (such as being able to type out a body of text which is justified on both the left and right), but I would still give Blurb very high marks and would recommend them to others.

Keith…

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
cantudoit2
Oct 30, 2007 8:30am PDT
cantudoit2

I was just wondering how your finished images compare to what you saw in the preview…are the page edges cropped more?

Posted by
sarujin
Oct 30, 2007 11:28pm PDT
sarujin

My Mom has early onset of alzheimers and our family is making a book for her with pictures and letters from all her family, letting her know how much she means to us.  I was so excited to do this project when I found Blurb on the internet but I have been reading so many "issues" that folks seem to be having re the quality of the paper, photos and binding <del>-</del> is there someone I can talk to at Blurb (no one answers the phone line listed on the web) to set my mind at ease?  This is such an important project, I want to be sure that the final product will be "quality" since she will be looking at it for a very long time!  Thanks!

Posted by
terrihoyt
Oct 31, 2007 3:33am PDT
terrihoyt

Hello terrihoyt;

Sorry to hear of your mother’s problems…

Don’t worry about what you read here… in essence the product is good, although it does have bugs. This is new technology still being developed…

Mostly you can work your way around the short-falls; if you can’t – post up a question on the forum, and there will be folks who will help…

As for the printing; mostly that get’s resolved. I have found Blurb’s tech-support to be very good, and when I needed a re-print, they did it for me without hesitation.

Do your book – and give it to your mother to enjoy!

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 31, 2007 3:47am PDT
lkb-28

Lee – thanks so much!  It is going to be a project of much emotion and I wanted to be sure I had selected the best vehicle to publish.  I checked several on line publishers but Blurb seemed to be the most "user friendly" and to your point, the tech support seems very responsive.  I’m going to start tonight!

Posted by
terrihoyt
Oct 31, 2007 4:07am PDT
terrihoyt

In answer to Sarujin, I would say that the colour was pretty close to what I saw on my computer screen. But! You have to keep in mind that  You’re basically looking at an sRGB colour field. That is the colour format that is accepted by their software. However their printers use CYMK and so because of that their is a slight shift in colour. Highly intense, saturated colours change to something a little less intense in hue. I generally bump up the saturation and tonal contrast in Photoshop before dragging them into Booksmart to compensate a little. If you’re using Photoshop you can check out how it’s going to look by clicking over to CYMK from sRGB. Often, the change in colour is barely noticeable.

As for full bleed and how much you lose at the edge of the page, I simply kept in mind, as I composed the book that I was going to lose one eighth of an inch to 3 sixteenths of an inch, ....and in fact that is how it worked out. So, no unpleasant surprises there…...hope that these comments help….Keith

Posted by
cantudoit2
Nov 1, 2007 10:21am PDT
cantudoit2

Thanks for the answer, and the tips. : )

Posted by
sarujin
Nov 1, 2007 10:25am PDT
sarujin

I have created six or seven books on this site, including books of very important events (such as my daughter’s Bat Mitzvah).  I am extremely happy, and would have no trouble recommending the site for your project.  Indeed, my Grandmother just turned 95 and we had a family party, which I am turning into a book for her.  My one caveat—be careful with dark pictures, they show up even darker.  LIghten them a bit on whatever photo editor you are using.

Posted by
jrabthearab
Nov 1, 2007 11:15am PDT
jrabthearab