Book Printing

What Size and DPI (or PPI) should i set for making book???

I want to make a book in 10 X 8 size. What size and DPI (Or PPI) should i set?

If I set the dimensionss 5616X3774 and 72ppi, is it good enough for making a book? Or another setting??

Thank you !!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
vamp0623
Aug 7, 2011 8:30am PDT
vamp0623

The "ideal"  dimensions depend very much on what size image container you are placing the image into, not the size of the book. If you define the image size in pixels the ppi/dpi is irrelevent, if you work in inches/cms the ppi/dpi is key. To understand this I’d highly recommend you spend some time digesting the content of this post

If you are planning to fill each page to the edges with a photo (called full-bleed) you’ll find the ideal dimensions in this FAQ.

If you have a number of photos on each page just hover the mouse over the image container and you will get a popup showing the ideal size of image for that container.

But all the above is ideal and does give a fair bit of work in Photoshop or equivalent, for most photos if you are increasing/decreasing the size of the photo as you place it into the BookSmart page you’ll get good results if that change in size is within +/- 30%, I suspect most people don’t size their photos to the exact pixel dimensions. Personally I split my books into two categories: family and holiday photos I don’t resize the photos to the exact dimensions as long as the change in size is within +/- 30%. But with my nature and wildlife books I do as I find getting the exact crop I want easier in Photoshop and as I’m cropping the photo there it is no extra effort to set it to the exact pixel dimensions.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 7, 2011 1:55pm PDT
tfrankland

Hi,
I made recently a test book to see whether there’s a difference between pictures printed a the exact amount of pixels of the picture box, or much bigger ones, or much smaller ones – which both were adjusted by BookSmart.
It shows very clearly that if your picture has more pixels than needed to print, the print quality decreases. So your pictures with around 15 MP will be printed worse, if you don’t adjust them to the size of your picture box.
Interestingly the pictures which were much too small (only half size of the size demanded) show no difference to those which resized to the bigger size.
So for me the conclusion is clear that I will downsize all the pictures exactly to the size of the picture box in BookSmart. Luckily I use almost always the same size of picture box :)
Hope this will help you.
Have fun with your books, Nik

Posted by
nik_nik
Aug 12, 2011 8:06am PDT
nik_nik

very simple question
finished book size is 8 × 10
what is the image (photo) size of a cover page
what is the image (photo) size of an interior size
so my only question pertains to the final book size and the final image size in inches

Posted by
anthony1936
Sep 13, 2011 11:17am PDT
anthony1936

If you read my post above you will see that it refers to a FAQ that will give you this information plus how you can discover this yourself by hovering your mouse over the image container/page.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 13, 2011 11:25am PDT
tfrankland