Book Printing

Just got my first book back

The photographs are exactly perfect! I was so concerned about user responses in the forums about the reproduction quality that I ordered an 8 X 10 with a variey of photographs from vibrant color to black and white, plus softer browns, etc., and they came back with more detail than even my monitor reveals. I have just now checked the print photos against my original files and they match exactly.  I must say the typography was imperfect because of the mistakes I made, but it was a learning experience that taught me to be more careful. Maybe I should wish for a spell checker in the layout…

Our son is a commercial photographer in Nashville area who has published several books with Blurb. He was the one who actually encouraged me to use it when I asked him about the print quality. 

I might add that I use PS CS4, calibrate my old 19 " LG (LED) monitor often with Spyder 3Elite, and followed the instructions exactly. My opinion at this juncture is simply that the principle of GIGO surely applies, making the quality of output directly correlating to the quality of imput. Thank you Blurb! I am starting on a serious book!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
qutip
Oct 8, 2011 4:59pm PDT
qutip

Law of averages, blurb bound to get some right by acident.

Read this forum you will see what I mean.

Posted by
Palm32
Oct 10, 2011 6:02pm PDT
Palm32

I have had more trouble with poor printing quality, dark, reddish cast and damaged cover issues the last 3 months than the entire 3 years I’ve been using Blurb. I did think that maybe I had screwed up somehow but realized that I hadn’t changed any settings that would have interferred with the color.   I am now convinced however that it is the printing company in the Northeast that my large landscape books were routed to that was where the problem originated.. I contacted Customer Support every time and sent a photo to get help.  One book in particular took 2 additional printings before it was acceptable to me (damaged covers).  I think the final solution was that Customer Service routed to a different printing company within its network.  I have used several different POD companies for photo books and I keep coming back to Blurb because I like the flexibility of the design and editing process, the cost is reasonable and I’ve learned alot about color management, monitor calibration, Nik software and truly the Customer Service for me has been great.    I would like to know if it wouldn’t help to have someone at these printing companies whose job was Quality control and actually looked at the product before sending to the customer.  I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t save Blurb return postage costs, the customers time, and Customer Service time if someone could spot the bad books before they left the printer.  It would certainly lessen the negativity on the  forum if customers were happier on the FIRST book.So anyway, if you get a book that is poorly bound or color is off and if it is not your pictures or your photo process (photos need to be compatible with Booksmart), then contact Customer Support and send one picture. (I can never get 2 pics to go thru even though they are less than 10MB total).  The biggest solution for my books was sending to a different printing company by Customer Support.  Hopefully the rogue printer in the Northeast will be out of the picture soon if not already!!!  Thanks ladies at Customer Support – you know who you are! 

Posted by
nstuart
Oct 12, 2011 8:50am PDT
nstuart