Book Printing

Are my photos still too large?

Hey all,

Just a quick question for you all. When I printed my first book a few years ago I thought I should export my photos from Lightroom as the highest quality JPEGS I could get away with in order to get the best quality prints in my book. However I found that the photos in the smaller containers looked strange. When I spoke to a member of Blurb staff at Focus they said that it was possible that the photo was too large and so there was too much information in a small container. I was told to check the size of the box and make the photo that size.

So now I am creating a new book and looking at the sizes of the containers of each photo and making the photo an inch larger on the shortest side of the photo – can I get an opinion on whether this is acceptable or still too large?

p.s. The JPEG resolution is 300ppi

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
PirateMonkee
Oct 29, 2011 2:49am PDT
PirateMonkee

Hi Pete. I think it’s safe to assume that the Blurb production workflow (the software and/or the printers) does some downsampling when images are too large for their containers. It is simply not possible for any printer to output a higher resolution than it or the media can physically accomodate. (This applies to light-sensitive photo paper as well.) Extra detail will be lost in one manner or another, and as the author it is in your best interest to take as much control of that as you can. Sizing images precisely for their container dimentions is the best way to do it. 300dpi is what is recommended.

Having said that, I choose to shortcut and sized my images for a 10×10" book, and used the same images in a 7×7" book. Does that affect the final quality? I may never know, I certainly don’t have the budget to test the theory. But if an image was three times the container size, absolutely I would expect the workflow to do a less than perfect job resizing and resharpening it to fit.

Cheers

-A

Posted by
Witimagery
Oct 31, 2011 6:01pm PDT
Witimagery

There is somewhere a tutorial that explains what the best image size is. 300 ppi is ok, but if you have very large sizes than it might be a problem still if you use many images in many small image containers on one page.

Here is a link to the help section
http://blurb.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/78/kw/image%20resolution

Posted by
editionh
Nov 8, 2011 12:01am PDT
editionh

Thanks for the helpful responses :)

I contacted support and have been talking to them about it and they have said I should try to make the photos the same size as the containers. So I have resized them all however a couple of the larger ones still look pixelated. I’ve emailed support again as I think they will print fine but I just wanted to double check this before I print the books as I dont want them to come out wrong.

Fingers crossed they get back to me soon as I just want to order and receive these books now!

Posted by
PirateMonkee
Nov 9, 2011 5:04am PDT
PirateMonkee

How on earth can one make 200 photos or more differing sizes for pages in a book. That is really silly. It will take ages, weeks to do all that. Surely it’s not that hard for blurb to sort it out.

I have images at 11×16" plus 9×7" I certainly do not want to do loads at 2"x2" or 3×2" etc, etc.

Surely if i can put images on the internet and see them Crystal Clear then Blurb should be able to do the same thing.

I Hope Blurb has not gone back to the 18th Century.

Posted by
copernob
Nov 22, 2011 8:12pm PDT
copernob

See my response to your previous post.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 23, 2011 2:43am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Pete
Some time ago I made a testbook for myself where I tried printing in different sizes of the pictures. I turned out that the quality of the print decreases when the size of your picture is bigger than the picture box (at 300 dpi). If the picture was smaller than requested for the box at 300 dpi I couldn’t see any difference. So make sure that your picture are not bigger than the boxes at 300 dpi.
Nik

Posted by
nik_nik
Dec 7, 2011 1:40pm PDT
nik_nik

Thanks for the reply Nik, I have since had the book printed and the photos looked great so was glad I sized the photos correctly. Unforunately two of the 5 books I ordered had faulty binding so I had to get them reprinted. Finally received them and one still had bad binding. To my amazement I received the third copy of the last book today and yet again the binding was terrible.

I have contact Blurb support although I dare say they will just say sorry, that only 1% of their books are make defective, and that they’ll send me a third reprint. I just wish someone could check it before it being sent out! :(

Posted by
PirateMonkee
Dec 8, 2011 8:47am PDT
PirateMonkee

Hello, PirateMonkee.
CM Color Printing Company: A professional printing services provider in China, Specialized in Book Printing and Packaging Boxes Printing. We can print all kinds of books, packaging boxes, magazines, bags, labels and commecial materials in high quality at low rate.

Get more details here.

Cmcolorprinting.com

Posted by
bobonudolfe
Jan 22, 2014 2:26am PDT
bobonudolfe