Book Printing

User review: Proline Pearl vs Premium Matte

Hello all:

This post didn’t show up the first time I tried, so I apologize if this is a duplicate….

I’ve recently ordered a large landscape Proline book with the new Proline Pearl paper. The book is 160 pages, which is the maximum number for the premium papers. I then ordered a second copy of the same book for a friend, and for this one I chose the Premium Matte paper, thus giving me a chance to compare the two papers.

THICKNESS AND WEIGHT are the most obvious differences. The book printed on the Proline Pearl is noticeably thicker and heavier. The following link shows the two books with the dust jackets removed.

http://flic.kr/p/aFVSQ4

Note: the Pearl paper seems to have a smoother trim on the edges. The Premium matte has a slight curl, but it’s not really obvious when viewing the pages.

I had expected the heavier Pearl paper to have more of a “non-flat hump”, but surprisingly, the opposite is true. The Pearl paper lies noticeably flatter than the Matte. The link below shows how the two books compare.

http://flic.kr/p/aFX8RH

SURFACE: The Pearl has a smoother surface with a very slight, and pleasing, “semi-gloss” look. It also appears to have a more uniform ink application then the Matte. When viewed at an angle, the Matte paper appears to have a slight texture.

PRINT QUALITY Both are quite good with accurate color and brightness. In a few photographs, the Matte printed slightly lighter than the Proline Pearl. In most cases, it wasn’t significant; but I think the Pearl printed more closely to what I had submitted, so, overall, I would give a slight edge to Pearl.

The increase in cost, for a 160 page, large landscape book printed on the Proline Pearl was about $30 over the Premium Matte. The Proline Pearl is a nicer paper, and in my opinion, it’s worth the additional cost.

However, with a large landscape Proline book costing me over $150, the glued binding is especially jarring. These premium books really, really, REALLY need a lay-flat binding option.

Are any of you Blurberati listening?

Cheers
S.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
sangio
Nov 18, 2011 3:48pm PDT
sangio

This is exceptionally helpful to me as I make some of my own decisions for my first book order. Thank you for your meticulous review and highly informative images.

BK

Posted by
blairkawa
Nov 28, 2011 7:45am PDT
blairkawa

thankyou soo much!

Posted by
rshingde
Jan 11, 2012 11:55pm PDT
rshingde

I agree with your comments in regards to glued/layed-flat binding, this is the only thing that puts me off from going with Blurb on regular basis. Thanks for the informative review, very helpful

Posted by
Rinzing
Jun 17, 2012 4:14pm PDT
Rinzing