Book Printing

Locked Why an 18 mm spine on a 7 mm book?

Blurb offers "bookstore quality" books, but I’ve never found a commercially printed hardcover book where the spine has been more than twice as wide as the thickness of the pages.

One consequence is that books take up double the room on a bookshelf.

Nor have I found bookstore books with such wavy, "roller coaster" pages. I suspect this is caused by humidity, and I know from experience that it reduces in time, but it’s nevertheless annoying. Perhaps it’s impossible to avoid with publish-on-demand?

Posted by
Maharg
Apr 19, 2012 5:23pm PDT
Maharg

I’m surprised that no one else has taken up this subject. My most recent book is 232 pages and I have ordered it three different times. The last copy I received had a spine at least 1/8" wider than the pages themselves. This looks really odd to me. I’m guessing that these new bindings come in incremental sizes and they don’t always match well with the number of pages in the book.

Another difference I noticed was that the newest binding is more of a “lay-flat” binding, which changed how my page layouts and two-page spreads looked because more of the page in the gutter is showing. I try to overlap my two-page spreads, and I suppose now I have to reconsider that.

Posted by
cadmanvta
Jul 16, 2012 10:00am PDT
cadmanvta

Based on the photos you have included, as a long time Blurb fan and user, It’s disappointing to see the workmanship fall to this low level.  I wonder what’s going on at Blurb.

Posted by
deanej
Jul 16, 2012 12:49pm PDT
deanej

Hello again Maharg,

If your book has a print defect please contact us for assistance. And yes, wavy pages are almost always caused by humid conditions, often during delivery and less commonly in the print facility, since most are climate-controlled to prevent that. If your book arrives with this issue please send us an email at blurb.com/help.

We are evaluating our spine/case sizes to make improvements where possible, so thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Michael/Blurb Customer Support

(Note: closing post as this is a customer support issue).

Posted by
mikewhy
Jul 19, 2012 8:01am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff