Book Printing

Customer paper options question.

I just uploaded my recent book and I’m setting up the selling options.  I would like to give my customers the option of either ordering standard paper type or be able to upgrade to the proline version. (pearl paper).  As far as I can tell it’s either one or the other.  Is this true or am I doing something wrong?  Most of my customers live on a fixed income and it’s going to be hard to explain the quality differences in the paper and to justify the extra cost so I’d like to give them an option is paper types.  Thank you in advance…..Duane. 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
DuaneN
Jul 8, 2012 1:07am PDT
DuaneN

I see you haven’t had any reply yet, Duane, but I have the exact same question. My book is more than 100 pages LARGE SQUARE and it is a hard sell (so expensive) even to family and friends, even if I give it to them at Cost Price. I consider the standard paper very thin and not very professional, and would like to offer them the choice of Upgrades, but it seems to me, as you say, that it is one or the other. Surely, if Blurb has the software to allow US the choice to upgrade when WE buy OUR OWN books, surely it would take very little extra effort on their part (Blurb’s) to allow the consumer the same options. In fact, I think it would make all the difference (from a professional standpoint) and result in more books being sold all around. I fully encourage fellow BLURB authors to very strongly voice there support (opinion) on this.

Posted by
petero
Aug 10, 2012 2:40am PDT
petero

When papers of different thicknesses are used, the book spines are different sizes. All the books I make are with PDF uploads from InDesign, which offers me complete flexibility with regard to what is printed on the spine. Consequently, purchasers are unable to slect a different paper type, as that would require me to re-design the cover with a wider or narrower spine.

I have never used Booksmart or Bookify but I understand that they offer the book designer less flexibility regarding spine design, in return for which the spine dimensions can more easily be altered at Blurb’s end, and hence purchasers have the option of different paper types.

This is my understanding of how it all works; if I’m wrong I’m sure someone will correct me.

Posted by
Maharg
Aug 10, 2012 8:36pm PDT
Maharg