Book Printing

My first book - Review and Pictures

I recently received my first book from Blurb. I ordered a 250-page 13×11 book. Below, some of my first impressions.

1. Overall – The book is excellent. Has a professional and bookstore-like appearance. Most of my expectations were met, some of them even surpassed.

2. Dust jackect – I designed the cover on CS2, and used a full bleed layout on BookSmart. The letters of  the title are not as sharp as they would had I used text entered from BookSmart, but that was expected, and it is not something serious. The paper is standard for dust jackets. On the back cover, I also used a full bleed picture, and both the back and front cover pictures advanced a third of an inch into the flaps. I had expected less of this effect. The back cover and a picture on the front flap are B&W, and they have a very distinct green cast.

Green cast on dust jacket

Full-bleed back cover advancing into the back flap

3. Binding – Has the appearance of being durable. The book has been handled by a dozen or so people, and some of them did not do it very carefully, but all the pages are still firm in place.

4. Paper – Not glossy paper, but thick enough. A little transparent.

5. Alignment – The page numbers and headers are frequently misaligned. The distance from the page numbers to the bottom of the page varies a lot. The distance from the headers to the top of the pages varies by as much as an third of an inch.

6. Image quality – Good. The resolution and sharpness is what was to be expected for a 175 lpi printer.  There were no image defects or artifacts. The B&W images have a very subtle green cast, but it is hardly noticeable, which is certainly not the case with the pictures on the cover. The color pictures have very good saturation and contrast. In fact, they match almost perfectly the look they have on my monitor. I
have never really calibrated it, so I just got lucky, I guess…

Overall, I’m very pleased with the book.

p.s. Someone asked in another thread what or how was the the last page. Before both the title and end pages( the one with the Blurb logo), there is a sheet of a different stock of paper, as can be seen in the pictures below:

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
sergiolfr
Nov 27, 2007 6:01am PDT
sergiolfr

Good review

I just recieved my second blurb book and it seems to me the dust jacket is thicker. However the front picture rapped around to the spine.

Keep smiling

Posted by
pictureme
Nov 27, 2007 3:26pm PDT
pictureme

Thanks for this thread, I like the photo examples.

Posted by
jasperguy
Dec 13, 2007 9:35am PDT
jasperguy

Loved the pictures.   After reading the reviews I’ve been a little skittish about my big order – 3 hardback 8X10 books with 384 pages and 3 7X7 hardback books with 55 pages.  These are Christmas gifts and I didn’t have time to order one and get it and then order the rest so I’m putting my faith blindly in Blurb and hopefully I will feel as good as you do about your order.

Susan

Posted by
susanht9
Dec 18, 2007 9:47am PDT
susanht9

Thanks so much for this – the picture of the end papers in particular – I’ve been trying to get my head around the end papers and where the title and last page are in relation to them, and your picture is the first thing I’ve found that has answered my question – so thank you!

:)

Posted by
free_amy
Feb 12, 2012 4:10am PDT
free_amy

I think you’ll find a lot has changed since 2007. The binding is different, and the end papers are grey, for starters.

Posted by
Maharg
Feb 12, 2012 3:53pm PDT
Maharg