Book Printing

Blurb Australia - Buyer Beware - Same Print Press as Snapfish?

I received my first Blurb book yesterday in the post, excited about the superfast turnaround it took from creation to dispatch from the US.

On the same day, my wife received a package from Snapfish with some rather disappointing prints. It was that disappointing that we had to claim a refund as the reds somehow colour shifted to brown and proved unusable as a festive Christmas card. We will never use Snapfish again, as this was our second and last attempt.

BUT what struck me was the packaging of both items. Both items had identical postage labels (except for the poorly lasered brand) with the SAME return postal address in Australia. Does this mean that Snapfish and Blurb are run on the same printing press? I thought Blurb was printed in the US?!

I googled further and found that Eastmon Digital also use the same return postal address. Eastmon Digital is the “…largest digital wholesale lab in the southern hemisphere” and print photobooks for “…Snapfish, Big W, Harvey Norman, Apple, Dick Smith, Rabbit Photo, Camera House, Bing Lee, Kodak Express, Creative Memories and many others” – quotes extracted from their website.

I am yet to review the quality of the book, as this is a Christmas present and I prefer to leave the shrink-wrap intact (I hope it’s better from what I hear in other posts). But I am already disappointed in knowing that I was originally sold on the quality of the Blurb brand to be made and shipped from the US, and have later found that it runs from the same factory as some local brands with poor quality control (and yes, I am all supportive for local jobs and fast shipment but I do feel mislead that I’ve been sold to a generic white-labelled manufacturer).

Please correct me if I am wrong Blurb, but are you using Eastmon Digital to print your photobooks – the same factory as Snapfish and 10+ other brands?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
markhatton
Dec 13, 2012 4:42pm PDT
markhatton

I am also very interested in a response from Blurb on this.  I have had a couple of books printed and posted from the US and happy to stay with Blurb because of the quality of service and printing I have recieved in the past even though I have seen other photobooks  created by Australian companies which I have felt don’t measure up as well.  I would be very disappointed if Blurb is palming off my order to some other company.  I  hope Blurb responds to their clients real concerns?

Posted by
transavante
Jan 13, 2013 2:14pm PDT
transavante

I think you’ll find that all Blurb books are printed by outside companies.

I’m not sure what you’re implying by "palming off" to some other company, but Blurb uses contract printers everywhere, including the U.S.

Posted by
deanej
Jan 13, 2013 2:36pm PDT
deanej

Blurb began using Eastmon in Glen Innes about a year ago. And yes, they do work for several Australian companies, including Harvey Norman, Camera House, etc etc. Prior to a year ago almost all Blurb books purchased by Australians came from the US.

For quite a long period there were major quality control issues with the Australian operation. There are many threads about it in this forum, some of which I started. Blurb always quickly sent replacements for defective books, but sometimes it took several attempts before an acceptable product was received. Common defects were banding, misaligned pages, inconsistent colours and inaccurate trim. I also received a book where several pages had been included twice.

Not sure whether some butts were kicked, threats were made, or some extra tuition was provided, but the books I’ve received (also other people I know) in the last several months have been fine. So, cross fingers, it looks as though Australian customers are receiving products up to the standard of the US plant. However, the hardware used to produce dust jackets is/was not the same as in the US. Check out this thread http://forums.blurb.com/forums/5/topics/13825 which I’m hoping might be answered one day.

Posted by
Maharg
Jan 13, 2013 3:53pm PDT
Maharg