Book Printing

Preview Looks horrible

Hello,
i just found this site and wanted to give it a try. but when i created a sample book and review the preview. it looks horrible, like low resolution picture.

I wanted to know if this is just with preview or it will look like that when I order a print as well?

thanks in advance

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
yunisbelm
Jan 24, 2013 6:36am PDT
yunisbelm

i wanna know too! why doesnt anyone ever answer these

Posted by
larisia
Mar 27, 2013 10:08pm PDT
larisia

I suspect it was because you have not given enough information to offer any useful judgement. I have produced many books which have turned out fine so there is not a fundamental problem with Blurb.

Firstly when you import a photo into BookSmart it creates a low resolution copy that it used when you are editing the book, it does that to keep the files sizes small to help keep responsiveness OK. It is that low resolution image that you see in the preview. When you come to upload your book and print it your original high resolution image will be used.

But that is not the only possible explanation for what you are seeing.

To help I would need to know more about the nature of your photos and the size of the containers you are putting them into on the page.

If you have a 6" x 4" jpeg at 300dpi and best quality (lowest compression) you should get a good print if that is placed in a 6" x 4" image container on the page. If you place it in a larger container or a smaller container (say +/- 30%) the quality of the print will start to drop, scale the photo much more than that (e.g. by tring to fill the page with the photo) and the photo will start to get artifacts, jaggies and look grainy..

If youi have had the triangular warning sign from BookSmart warning you of a resolution problem the quality will not be good.

Post some more information and forum members may be able to offer some help.

e.g. for a typical photo either it’s size and dpi (e.g. 6" x 4" at 300dpi) or it’s pixel dimensions (e.g. 1200 × 800 pixels). Then the dimensions of the image container you are trying to put the photo in, in BookSmart hover your mouse over the container and you will get a pop up showing size and dpi as well as the ideal pixel dimensions.

To get a good print these need to closely match. But post those details here and I and others could comment.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 28, 2013 2:07am PDT
tfrankland