Book Printing

Getting a few photos printed by Blurb prior to publishing so as to see the colour and quality of images

I was wondering if Blurb would ever offer a service whereby clients can submit a few photos for hardcopy printing so as to check the colour of the photo prior to having a book printed. I think a lot of people do not go thru the color management process. I have made a few books and would have really liked to see how a photo looks like, directly from your printer, prior to upload and publishing. For example, if the submitted photo is dark, it would be nice to be able to use that photo as a guide to adjust others, prior to printing. I would gladly pay for that print option.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
doranboston
Oct 15, 2013 5:39pm PDT
doranboston

Just make a Blurb book with a minimum number of pages that have representative (varied) images on them. You only have to do this one time to see if your own settings are OK.

You don’t need full colour management to get good Blurb books. The main problem seems to be that many users judge their images on LCD monitors that are set to a brightness that is WAY too high. The result is that these images are really darker than they appear on the monitor, so they will print ‘too dark’.

Just don’t expect exact colour, e.g. black and white images will always have some minor hue shifts due to the raster printing process. And be careful with very certain highly saturated colours, they could be outside the color space of the Blurb printing process.

Posted by
teknik
Oct 20, 2013 4:17am PDT
teknik