Book Printing

Has blurb print quality declined from last year?

Hello,
Is it just me, or I think that print quality has been lowered, compared to previous year, I definitely see more dot into the images, somehow they look a bit more grainy. Aim using premium luster paper as always and nothing has changed in my editing technique, I don’t mean darker images or color issues, what I can see is a lower print quality.
Anyone?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
pressgeo
Nov 8, 2013 7:51am PDT
pressgeo

I’ve used premium lustre paper too but was disappointed with the results. The blackground pages were not a true black, there was a production crease/white mark across many pages and inside pack page was badly creased. Some of the images lacked a vitality I though the originals possessed.

Posted by
peppabrown
Nov 20, 2013 4:54pm PDT
peppabrown

I just received my first blurb book last night.  It was produced using the Light Room v5 Book integration feature. Since I teach a Light Room 5 software class, I had been sharing the begining to end development process with my current and past students on Facebook.  Last nights shipment was supposed to be the denouement and I was going to present the final product in class and on my newsfeed.  Instead I am having to point out that I got some really poorly handled bleed triming on the finished pages.  Of course, I have sent a notice to customer service, but I am agahst that Blurb thinks this was OK to ship as is.  Now I am having huge reservations recommending that any students use this service unless something significant happens. I also have a 56 page Portfolio book in production and I am now fearful that will be a $100 flop if I see the same thing occur. Not a great way to start a relationship…

Posted by
wildboardan
Nov 22, 2013 8:28am PDT
wildboardan

I just received my Blurb book today printed in Australia.  Very disappointed with the quality, streak marks on several pages, some pages printed ok, others very dark and all colour taken out of them.

It was obvious that some of the pages were printed in batches so some were printed ok and others much too dark and flat. 

On some of my portraits, there is a cross screen effect and a lot of digital noise even though the images were shot on a 5D camera on 100 ISO.   A couple of years ago, I had an album of the same country made by Blurb but it was printed in the USA.  The quality was great, good vivid colours and I was extremely happy with the book.  Not so this time, I had heard the quality was very bad in Australia but thought I would give them a go but I am very disappointed by their lack of quality control.

Some of the pages have been numbered, others haven’t.  Can’t believe that they would ship out an album without checking for obvious faults and printing errors.

I am a professional photographer and have workshops showing people how to make digital albums and I now hesitate to recommend Blurb Australia to anyone.

I use a calibrated monitor, adjusted exposure and saturation to allow for printing and yet some of the images still printed dark and most of the landscapes had no colour in them whatsoever.  Yet the same landscapes printed in the USA were colourful and vivid. 

It seems odd that the printing is so bad in Australia and yet so good when printed in USA.

I have several other albums I want to get printed and hesitate in getting any more albums through Blurb Australia in case they are also disappointing. 

Posted by
vmartin98765
Dec 8, 2013 8:41pm PDT
vmartin98765

I also have been using Blurb for a long time.  The first 4 books I did with them were fantastic and I was very happy with the quality and crispness of the pictures.  The 5th book I ordered fell below my expectations.  The pictures were grainy and pixelated.  Specifically pictures of people lacked sharpness.  The edges of peoples faces looked particularly blurry.  I contacted customer service and they suggested it was my picture resolution, even though I had no picture resolution warnings while making my book and I had not changed anything from how I had made my previous books.  Anyhow I made some changes, like substituting some of my pictures with my friends pictures (she uses a professional camera with even higher resolution) and resubmitted it.  They sent me a new book free of charge but it still had all the same issues.   I am very disappointed since I really like Blurbs program but I am not willing to waste my money on a product that is substandard and doesn’t meet my expectations. If the printing quality issues are fixed I would go back, but until then I am looking into other options.

Posted by
ChaosAngel
Jan 16, 2014 9:36am PDT
ChaosAngel

Feeling a little foolish for not having browsed these threads before. :(
But then I thought my last experiences with blurb would hold up.

I had ordered an album for a client and now most of the pictures are pixellated, the faces blurry – and the premium lustre paper looks really tacky -  with little lustre! (and these were in well-lit, multiple flash used situations)

Worst part? The book seam has split right in the middle, and i got it delivered like that!!

Only saving grace is that the cover looks good – but my client would be seriously disappointed with the album as is – and I wouldnt blame them! :(

I have raised a ticket, hoping they can solve the issue

Posted by
analoge
Mar 29, 2014 1:49am PDT
analoge