Book Printing

Softcover covers - confusion...

Do the softcover books have dust jackets or are the pictures on the cover and back (w/ no flaps, obviously)?  Just need some clarification.

Thanks,

Barbara

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
beheis
Mar 30, 2008 11:28am PDT
beheis

Hi Barbara, softcover books are printed on the front cover, back cover and spine, blank on the inside, with no flaps. They do not include dust jackets.

Best,

—bw

Posted by
bruce
Mar 30, 2008 12:09pm PDT
bruce Icon_staff

I’ve done 5 hardcover books which turned out great – the dust covers looked GREAT as well – BUT I’m worried about long term wear and tear so I think I may try a softcover book – Thanks for your quick reply!

Barbara

Posted by
beheis
Mar 30, 2008 1:30pm PDT
beheis

beheis,

I have done both soft and hardcover books and definitely prefer the hardcover with the dust jackets. I’m not sure the softcovers are any more durable than the dust jackets. The jackets seem to have a laminate or coating on the the surface that increases the durability. The softcovers develop a curl depending on the humidity of the room, the corners can be dented easily and of course if you like the information that can be placed on the end flaps, that is not available with the soft covers. Oh yes, there is no spine printing on the softcover if the book is less than 80 pages. 

Posted by
lcarreira
Mar 30, 2008 5:20pm PDT
lcarreira

THANK YOU so much for your insight! I actually went to get the dust jacket lamenated but they said one side was already lamentated and that it would melt.  I think I’m going to try to find a slip cover to help the wear and tear and stick with the hardcover book – thanks for saving me the time, trouble and $ in creating a softcover book :) 

Barbara

Posted by
beheis
Mar 30, 2008 5:59pm PDT
beheis