Book Printing

Fonts?

I am finishing my book and am getting ready to upload.  I noticed the fonts on my computer show up in the Booksmart software.  Does anybody know if I use some obscure font on my machine will it look just fine when printed or does it default to something similiar?  Basically, how do I make sure the fonts I use on my computer which look a distinct way,  will look the same once the book is published?

I have the feeling I have some fonts that Blurb does not have.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bbrain
Apr 3, 2008 11:09am PDT
bbrain

I see that you are possibly new to Blurb forums,

Please try to realize that you had posted two posts with same question in other forum and here. Try to understand that it is difficult for other participants or myself to participate to help you. With only ONE post for whatever situation, it is easier FOR all participants to participate IN one forum discussion that way than two. It is like going through telephone tags back forth accomplished with little success.

If you need some further assistance, perhaps that you want to contact Blurb tech support. Are you using Windows? If so, what version? I am on Mac, using Mac Leopard system architecture.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Apr 3, 2008 12:21pm PDT
brianbonitz

It wasn’t my intention to post twice.  I tried to figure out how to delete one of them but could not.  I understand your point and feel like I need to sit in the corner with a dunce hat.   With that said, I am I have contacted Blurb and wanted to hear a real user experience response.  I am on a Mac using Leopard.

My apologies for posting twice – and I completely understand it is difficult for other participants or myself to participate to help you. With only ONE post for whatever situation, it is easier FOR all participants to participate IN one forum discussion that way than two. It is like going through telephone tags back forth accomplished with little success.

Brian 

Posted by
bbrain
Apr 3, 2008 1:06pm PDT
bbrain

Brian,

my understanding is that when you choose the "Order Book" option  that will start the upload to the Blurb server for production of our book, that BookSmart generates the book page images locally (on your computer) based on the fonts that you have installed on your PC/Mac. It is not necessary for the Blurb server to have all the possible fotns that its users may have installed.

My own experience reinforces this, but I cannot ‘prove’ that this is the case.

..........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Apr 3, 2008 1:42pm PDT
tfrankland

Thanks Tony,

I appreciate the response.  Makes sense, but I kind of wonder why when Blurb told me the fonts embed when it gets ready to print, Blurb failed to mention it happens on my computer.  I think I wil ask Blurb.

Thanks again, Brian 

Posted by
bbrain
Apr 3, 2008 2:24pm PDT
bbrain

At my beginnings I used Booksmart options for fonts and everything and I had a few problems, now I make my whole page in Photoshop, text included and save a Jpeg maximum quality, then import to Booksmart and use the full page bleed. Never again had a crash and PS possibilities with fonts and effects are infinite. Good luck with your book!!. T

Posted by
titotrelles
Apr 8, 2008 12:19pm PDT
titotrelles