Book Printing

Good first experience w/book

I’ve found these forums very useful in the past so I thought I’d share my experience with my book. 

It’s an 11×13 book of just photographs, no text, about 100 pages.  I’m not completely done with it, but uploaded and ordered a copy to see how it was looking.  Overall, I was pretty impressed.  The detail in the prints is to my eye, higher than a magazine but only a bit lower than several of the professionally produced photography books I own.  The binding was perfect, and the dust cover looks great, although I think for my next revision, I’ll try the new Imagewrap feature.  

I work within a color-managed workflow, and am fairly experienced with those kinds of things, so the color was pretty spot-on.  However, there were a couple of things I noticed that I think could use improvement:

1.  Paper weight – The paper is thinner than a professionally produced book.  Under normal viewing conditions, it is possible to see through the paper a tad.  It’s not a huge problem but definitely noticeable.  I would love a paper weight option to be included in BookSmart, and I think most people who care about that kind of thing would be willing to pay a bit extra for it.

2.  Loss of detail in green areas – Many of my photographs include green bushes or trees, and in about half of those, the greens in the book looked slightly smeared together and low-contrast, even though they look okay on my profiled monitor.  I’m not sure what would be causing this.  Again, the normal viewer would probably not notice, but I’m pretty picky about things like that.

Overall, though, a very smooth experience making a book which looks pretty cool!

Matt 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
mlogue
Jun 1, 2008 9:01pm PDT
mlogue

Thanks for that feedback Matt.

Interesting your comment on the greens. When I softproofed my photos and did an out-of-gamut check it was nearly always in the more vivid greens that Photoshop showed I had a problem.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 2, 2008 12:09am PDT
tfrankland