Book Printing

Locked Anyone want a seperate dust jacket?

I noticed there were a lot of comments in various threads about having a second dust jacket and that maybe it would catch an eye if there was one specific to being able to add a dust jacket to your cart.

Whether you want it for your imagewrap or just a second jacket it is only a piece of paper that they print already on a seperate printer, so why is it not an option. 

I don’t know if they aren’t offering it in hopes that people will just buy another entire book to replace the dust jacket.  On principle that isn’t something that seems fair to me, but I really don’t see what the other reason could be.  Any ideas?

Maybe it would be too hard to package and ship a second dust jacket with the original? 

Not sure, but I do know that it would be nice to be able to give your book a fresh cover after it became tattered from it’s first 50 viewings.  Like retiring it to the shelf with a fresh coat.

Without a refresh of the dust jacket Blurb is keeping books out there that are 50-100 viewings old.  When the 100th viewer sees the book I don’t really want my name on it and I can’t believe that Blurb does either.

Posted by
jcmunroe
Jul 3, 2008 7:24am PDT
jcmunroe

i think thats a great idea..

it is something i would absolutely purchase with every book order… so they would just ship the extra dust jacket with my current book at the time and i would keep it as a back up.

Posted by
babiigirl11x
Jul 3, 2008 2:46pm PDT
babiigirl11x

I WOULD LOVE THAT TO HAPPEN!! because since I picked my ImageWrap book up I have not stoped thinking how am I going to make that book look better??? I hope this idea won’t vanish here…

Posted by
sebascordero
Jul 16, 2008 7:37pm PDT
sebascordero

I created a book with important information on the inside sleeves of the dust jacket.  I orderd hard cover and dust jacket copies.  I’m afraid over time that the dust jacket will get torn and ruined … if it becomes un-useable than we’ll lose the beautiful cover of the book.  The hard cover is great but doesn’t have the information on the sleeve.  This book was a tribute to my Grandmother for her 90th birthday, I doubt it will be re-ordered in the future if the dust jacket were to get torn or ruined so I want to be able to purchase the hard cover WITH a dust jacket to take extra precaution.

Posted by
etmoore
Aug 20, 2008 1:38pm PDT
etmoore

etmoore,

Have you consider the special plastic covers? In fact, there has been similar discussion as yours regarding wearing out in time or something like that. I can’t remember the keyphrase search query on that particular topic.

Hopefully other Blurbarian chime in and offer the information more about special plastic covers. You may also could find them at some specialized art and supply stores in your area, or can find them online. Again, I can’t seem to remember the name of that online supplier as well.

Let’s cross your fingers that some other Blurbarian chime in and offer the info better than I offer.

Hope that helps, no?
Brian, a passionate Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 20, 2008 2:05pm PDT
brianbonitz

etmoore,

I found this information at Blurterati Blog article, if you read in its entirety, you will find a link from some paragraphs discussed about book collector’s important tool… have a look:

http://blog.blurb.com/index.php/2008/08/04/tips-–-care-and-maintenance-of-your-blurb-books/

Hope that helps and be of an interest for you,

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 20, 2008 2:10pm PDT
brianbonitz

w.r.t. Brian’s post the two companies providing solutions identified by users of this forum were  www.care4books.com and www.shopbrodart.com. The former is UK based but ships worldwide.

If you do a search on Brodart I think you will find comments on their offerings.

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 20, 2008 2:14pm PDT
tfrankland

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the heads up on those two links you mentioned.

Cheers,

p.s. I jotted those two links on piece of paper… for future frame of reference. ;)

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 20, 2008 2:22pm PDT
brianbonitz

etmoore,

A specific, direct link through Brodart – Book Jacket Covers, go from the link as follows:
http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/bjc/

Cheers,

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 20, 2008 2:30pm PDT
brianbonitz

Hi Tony,

I was curious about search query by using the Brodart term, it didn’t work out well. None.

I tried the alternative search query keyphrase (three words all together) by using ‘book jacket cover’, the search result came up with three links. Interesting.

Just thought that you wanted to know. :) Sometimes one word doesn’t help that much in search query. I know it will work on Google or Yahoo. But not usually on forums. I guess it is depends on how forum server’s software configuration set up and how it works, I don’t know for the answer.

But usually get pretty good results if done with search queries with at least two or three words.

Anyway… have a wonderful day, Blurbarians!

Cheers,

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 20, 2008 2:39pm PDT
brianbonitz

Looks like you can type faster than I can Brian :-)

I posted before I saw your response.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 20, 2008 2:44pm PDT
tfrankland

Wierd Brian. Brodart, in my forum search, comes up with at least 6 results.

......Tony

p.s. see also the e-mail I have just sent you.

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 20, 2008 2:50pm PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony,

Interesting about search query. Maybe Blurb Forums doesn’t like Safari too much. LOL

I’ll have a look at your email in a few.

Thanks,
Brian, a passionate Blurbarian :)

P.S. Yup, I sure type pretty fast.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 20, 2008 2:55pm PDT
brianbonitz

Thank you for your tips, much appreciated.

Posted by
etmoore
Aug 21, 2008 8:03pm PDT
etmoore

You are welcome!

TIA, Brian, a passionate Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Aug 24, 2008 11:07pm PDT
brianbonitz

I’m not so much interested in preserving the original dust jacket (while important!) as having the option to have an image wrap as well as a dust jacket with the inside sleeves. The inside sleeves, while making my book personal, may make it too personal for some and just the image wrap may make it more available to some folks.

Or perhaps I am persnickety ;)

In any case, I’d love the option to have an "optional dust jacket" available.

Posted by
treeee
Sep 25, 2008 8:58pm PDT
treeee

I would love (and so would my clients) to have an image wrap book with a dust jacket.

I have to say I just can’t seem to see what the problem is.

Posted by
finnigan101
Oct 3, 2008 4:36pm PDT
finnigan101

I also need a way to purchase (reprint) my dust covers. Blurb screwed-up my dust covers – the offset was too low on the last two book orders, cutting off the letters near the bottom.  So, I need to have them reprinted and/or order new ones, but there’s no method to do so.

Does anyone recommend an online service that prints book dust covers?  It’s ashame Blurb is missing this huge revenue opportunity….they miss so much.  Ashame.

Posted by
kshipp
Oct 27, 2008 8:28pm PDT
kshipp

I see a lot of post of people asking to have a second dust cover. While surfing this morning I, came across a site that might be of interest to some of you. They sell library supplies and also offer them to the public.

I ordred  some Book Jacket Cover. It is a plastic layer designed to protect your book’s cover
and/or dust jacket from scratches, wear and tear, fingerprints and moisture.

Boardart Book Jacket Covers represent the largest variety of styles, film types, ilm thicknesses (mils) and formats in the industry. You also have a choice of great onvenience features like folding guides, anchor tabs and adhesive strips. Copyed from their site.

Here is a link;  http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/bjc/default.htm
Posted by
DimpleLou
Oct 28, 2008 10:58am PDT
DimpleLou

I think a dust jacket and printed hard cover are an absolute must have. I’ve used apples print service in the past and they do this by default for a hard cover if I recall correctly.
That way if the dust jacket does get ruined at some point in the future the book doesn’t end up with a completely anonymous cover.

Posted by
fgersch
Dec 9, 2011 6:08pm PDT
fgersch