Book Printing

BIG book

Hi all,

i have  a few questions. I made a big trip last year, for the whole year. Made 9000 photos and would like to make an album with a selection of those.

Its already 250 pages, so I think i will reach the max of 440 pages. Its a project for my nights off and i dont mind it, i actually enjoy it, but i`m a bit worried about the book crashing after months of lay outing it…

- does anyone have experience uploading a book the max of pages? It doesnt have 1 photo on 1 page, sometimes it has 9… How long will it take, you reckon? All night?

I want to check how much MB / GB the file got, but cant seem to find where the computer saves it, not under booksmart any way, anyone a suggestion?

- i havent done a proofbook yet, the 440 pages will be my first printed book on blurb. Is it really necessary to do a small proof book?

- I read some complaints in february about the big books printed in Europe falling apart. Is this solved now?

Thanks in advance!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
bonsta
Sep 16, 2008 7:25am PDT
bonsta

bonsta,

When you ask a question whether if you should have a proof or test book… In the case of your book project, you think you will want to work with 440 pages book, and haven’t had any proof test book.

Well, if I were in your shoe, I’d want to test book with twenty pages. You might want to put in most challenging and difficult images to work with, put them into twenty pages and order a test book. You probably will find some issues depending on what you have learned from that test book.

Test book often save you lot of time, money and effort. Working with 440 pages put together into one big book is a big project and lot of work involved. I remember that there was lot of work involved in my book project for a client included 172 pages.

As for how much MB/GB used for the book file, I have no idea. It should be included some kind of information. But I would think, in case of your 440-pages book probably is worth some huge GB-plus file. That means a long time upload time. I hope that you have the access to high-speed broadband Internet connection service such as DSL or Cable modem service through your local provider. If upload with old slow modem such as 56k dail-up connection modem, I have no idea… it would takes “forever” to upload. I haven’t used 56k dail-up modem in years. I adores high-speed broadband cable modem service, a lot faster than 56k dail-up connection modem.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Brian, a passionate Blurbarian

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 16, 2008 7:12pm PDT
brianbonitz

I did a 440 page book that had ~2000 pictures. Some full page bleeds, others collages that I did in photoshop & pulled in as on jpg.

Quality was good, and they haven’t fallen apart at all (I did 4 copies).

Size was about 1.5GB  when done. It took about 5 or 6 hours to compile & upload, so I just set it before I went to bed and it was done in the morning.  It took over an hour to print the PDF proof copy, then another 2 hours to actually print out on the printer.

For backups I was getting worried, so every major addition I "save-as" with another revision number. It took about 20 min to resave and reload the pictures, so do it when you are on a break.  I also copied the backup file to another external drive every time.  I did have one point where the file got corrupt and I just went back a revision; I lost a few days work, but nothing I couldn’t easily redo quickly the 2nd time around.

The only problem with the "save-as" revision work is I ended up with about 10GB of old files that started to fill my HD.

For the test book, I had done a few books before so knew what colors and pictures I would need to modify.

In the end it worked out great. I would have gone well over 440 pages if it would have let me. 

Posted by
noremacc
Sep 19, 2008 3:06pm PDT
noremacc

Absolutely do a test book. Especially if you are going to do 440 pages and strain the upper limit of what they can bind. I would have split the book in two just for heft and to stay well within the comfort range of their binding process.

I did a 30 page test book of 13×11 because I needed to see how the resolutions form my camera held up on full page bleeds. I actually should have done some two page spreads, which I did in my actual book. Also I did a bunch of photoshop collages with a mix of text and rotated photos. I wish I had tried those things out before plunking $100 on a 160page book. But I didn’t think about all the different things I’d be doing in the book. I would make a copy of the entire project and then start chopping out repetitive pages. Look for varied designs, largest spreads with the smallest resolutions, text eamples, photoshop, any color matched pages ( i matched background color to color samples taken from photos themselves). Then i’d do a print, in whatever format you are targetting.   I would also suggest you do an ImageWrap so you can consider it’s quality. The regular dustcover is unremarkable, kind of annoying cause I find it curls excessively and slips off every time someone looks at the book. It is the most rudimentary of dust jackets (the flaps do not wrap and hold the book, like a library dust jacket would.

This way you’ll get a chance to see the quality and you will know whether to invest further time in working in BookSmart. Any work you do in Booksmart cannot be exported for use with another publisher. If you don’t like the quality, all the time you put into booksmart was a waste. That’s why I did a test.  I just finished my first 160pg book and will be moving on to the next one which will likely be around the same size.

I didn’t do SAVE As, I did BACKUP/EXPORT.  I prefer this because I could transport it to another PC in case of a problem. SAVE AS—I don’t know how easily it moves to another installation. I had 600 photos (from a pool of 1600) for a 13×11 landscape book and the size of the final backup was 1.6 Gb. I had about 16 revisions/backups, which translated to about 1-2 major saves each day I worked on it. It took about 100 hours of editing and proofing for me to produce the book.

Posted by
royalef
Sep 19, 2008 4:32pm PDT
royalef