Feedback on first book
Just received my first photo book. Its a large square hardback (13 by 11) in casewrap.
1) Spine appears to be slightly too thick for the book. Its 124 pages and the spine looks like it would prefer something a little thicker.
2) Book arrived with black smudges on the cover and a clear visible black fingerprint on the back. Looked as if someone had handled the book with ink on their fingers. Was very irritated at first but then found that a few minutes vigourous rubbing with a clean rubber (eraser for the Americans) got rid of it. This sort of thing shouldn’t happen but at least it was correctable.
3) Many of the photos appeared too dark. Surprised by this but looked through the posts here and found that this appears to be a common problem. Many of the photos were fine so its either something no-systematic or an issue with the photos.
4) The BookSmart template showed inner strips inside the cover. These didn’t appear on the book and I guess they were for the dust cover had I used one. Not too upset not to have them but I’m surprised they were available on the template if they (quite reasonably) don’t appear on a casewrap book.
5) Overall impression was that the book was professional and good enough but lacked some sharpness & "zing". Nothing specific but was overall more impressed with the results from lulu. Unfortunately they don’t offer 13×11 or harback with colour inside so I’m going to persevere. I’m going to give InDesign a whirl for a better layout. try a test book with some photoshopped versions for the photos that appear dark a dn make sure my next book is a little thicker.
Funny you mention the cover. I didn’t post it but I did observe the same "issue" with the cover in that it looked like it had been handled. Finger prints and smudges. Seems like the simply solution might be for them to have people where some white gloves or just let them sit and dry a little longer before handling. (process change blurb….)
And THANKS for the rubber explanation. For a second there I had a very "odd" visual plus I was thinking "what the HECK gave him THAT idea…."
I, too, was bummed that the cover flaps disappeared on the higher end and lower end choices. They should warn you about that, take the blank page where they put the logo, and allow the content to surface there, if no where else.