Book Printing

Solution to darkness problem - Mac

Hello.
I do not have PhotoShop, and am using iPhoto to enhance my photographs. Not very sophisticated, I know!
I would be grateful if someone could answer a question, however. On MacOS10 it is possible to use the AppleScript Utility to change color profiles. I have already imported the Indigo profile.

In ColorSync, there a ton of options for changing iPhoto color profiles. Does anyone know which to use if I want to have the photo display on screen as it will in print?
Embed chosen profile
Embed display profile
Embed specific profile
Match to chosen profile
Match to specific profile
Proof to chosen profile
Proof to specific profile
Embed profile

Thanks!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
dingo72
Oct 21, 2008 9:43am PDT
dingo72

Here is something that is not discussed nearly enough.

When using a Mac, it is most important to change the default system gamma from 1.8 to 2.2 (which is the industry standard).  Even Apple says to change it to 2.2 but for unknown reasons they still ship with a default setting of 1.8. Interesting, Apple’s gamma 1.8 setting was chosen years ago because it approximated their Laser Writer printer.

To change it go to System Prefaces, Color, Calibrate, change the target gamma to 2.2.  Immediately, everything will look darker but it will now match the industry standard, web sites, printing, etc.

Posted by
bret
Oct 21, 2008 2:59pm PDT
bret

I missed the 1.8 to 2.2 debate for years.  So all printing is based on 2.2?  All graphic artists (who know what they’re doing) switch their macs to 2.2?  For web release of videos and images, the non graphicpro mac users will still be seeing things at 1.8 (much brighter mids).  But you’ll be fairly accurate with all the PCs out there.  Right?  On the panel in the Mac where you set gamma, it says: "In most cases it is best to use the Mac Standard gamma of 1.8."  

Then for Blurb books. 2.2 and sRGB?

-jt

Posted by
Torcassi
Feb 6, 2009 2:37pm PDT
Torcassi

Yikes! I have just completed photoshopping about 1000 photos for a Blurb book on the 1.8 setting!!! (I had already input about 100 pg into Booksmart too.) So I did what Bret advised and changed my Mac to the 2.2 setting. Sure enough, many of my photos looked just too dark. So I began to lighten my photos a bit and fiddle around with the contrast, shadow, etc. NOW FOR THE 2ND TIME! Only this time I just kept them in iphoto’s little editing program, because it would be just too much hassle to do it through photoshop. I expected Booksmart to pop each completed photo up with the “This photo has been changed…do you want to upload the newer version?” .... or whatever it says. It only did this with about 2 photos of about 12 I had lightened. Is Booksmart simply sluggish? Will it eventually catch up with my editing and prompt me to upload all the edited photos? Aggggh!

Please help! Thank you!
Kathy

Posted by
kathymn
Feb 16, 2009 4:19am PDT
kathymn

I just received my book and see that I need to work on some of the photos who printed dark or muddy. After reading this thread I went to change my target gamma only to find out that it was already set at 2.2. So… this isn’t the problem. Any suggestions as to what to do now?

Posted by
GreyKitty
Sep 12, 2009 9:39am PDT
GreyKitty