Book Printing

slip cases please

I have searched the whole of the internet and finding a option for a slip case for my books is very difficult.  is there anyone else out there that would like to see blurb create slip cases for our books.  blurb is awesome and it would just be icing on the cake.  ummm…but if anyone knows a simple and efficient way to get em…other than transient books (its in argentina) and other than www.photobookboxes.com cause its way over priced and shipping like a million dollars. 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
jelanimemory
Oct 31, 2008 3:14pm PDT
jelanimemory

so..in my searching I found the what I think the best option….other than having custom made slip cases made, which will run you about 50 bucks, which is far too much.  www.printfile.com has print boxes that correlate size wise pretty well.  look for the film & print boxes sizes 8X10 and 11X14.  At 1.1/8in.  deep they will fit any book less than 300 pages.  their is a nice cusion area of space in the 8X10 so don’t worry about your book getting stuck in it or anything, as well as the extra in. in the 11X14 isn’t a big deal.  I make my books mostly at 300 pages and its just perfect for them.  they don’t make boxes with any less depth so, don’t make expect a 100 page book to take up most of the space.  you’ll probably want to toss in a cloth or something so the book doesn’t bang around in there.  hope this helps.  blessings

Posted by
jelanimemory
Jan 15, 2009 6:21pm PDT
jelanimemory

As I rememeber, one of the questions in the Blurb survey asks how important slip cases would be if they were offered.

If you haven’t done so, be sure to take the survey and have your opinions counted.

Posted by
deanej
Jan 15, 2009 6:27pm PDT
deanej

Slipcases would be very cool. You mentioned a survey. Where do I find this?

Posted by
cliffy81056
Jan 18, 2009 10:13am PDT
cliffy81056

Cliffy81056,

I tried to take a look through Forums’ main page and didn’t see any link to survey. However, I recall that there was a link recently. It looks like the link has been removed. {I could be wrong about that…} Hopefully that someone from Blurb could confirm that the link has been removed or survey has closed. It could be a limited time frame to conduct and gather info through survey.

BUT, you still can submit a feedback, and perhaps that you want to mention in your feedback email submission that you tried to find a link to survey… AND that you want to see slipcase to be offered in near future. The more feedback on this, the better.

Hope that helps.
Cheers, Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jan 18, 2009 1:09pm PDT
brianbonitz

Here is a link to the blog post regarding the survey.

This is the link directly to the survey -  www.surveygizmo.com/s/89616/829sh

Posted by
rbgool
Jan 18, 2009 6:11pm PDT
rbgool

Ah-Ha! So I’m not alone! I have been searching for weeks to try to get a professionl slip case for some 100 page books I want to do. I have found a company in Germany and one in Holland but the minimum is 250-500 units. I have also mentioned it to Blurb and they are considering slip cases, the trouble is how deep to make them because some print 40 pages and some print 300.

My kitchen table is currently covered in 3mm card templates that I am hoping will turn into a professional-ish slip case once coverd in some material I have found,  but how I would jump for joy if Blurb announced that professional slip cases are on the way.

I’m off to look at Jelanis’ portfolio boxes and hope someone else is doing them in the uk (or Europe!)

Joe.

Posted by
joefairs
Jan 20, 2009 7:53am PDT
joefairs

Joe,

if quality is the critical issue rather than being cheap take a look at Transient Books, I have bought two from them (for special editions of one of my books, not for all my books – I’m not rich!) and they are really, really good. They are made to order so fit exactly and they will make just one copy. Although based in Argentina they ship worldwide.

http://www.transientbooks.com/cases.html

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 20, 2009 9:33am PDT
tfrankland

Tony,

I didn’t see a price list on transientbooks, how much would a 8×10 photobook of about a 100 pages  cost ?

Sheila

Posted by
swdalton
Jan 20, 2009 10:28am PDT
swdalton

Tony,

I didn’t see a price list on transientbooks, how much would a 8×10 photobook of about a 100 pages  cost ?

Sheila

Posted by
swdalton
Jan 20, 2009 10:36am PDT
swdalton

I can tell you the costs of mine, I can’t guess for yours Sheila, if you’re still interested after seeing my bill below slip them an e-mail..

Mine was to fit a 146 page 13" x 11" hardback.  The spec was

Hard Back Slip Case, black cloth covered, black ribbon pull.

Photo inlaid on cover     Book Measurements:        Width 329mm

Height 278mm

If you go to  this  page, mine was like the left hand one in the fourth row, but with the addition of a ribbon pull. The photo I used on the cover of my book was used inset into the cover of the slip case.They cost $63 each!

........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 20, 2009 12:19pm PDT
tfrankland

Awesome. Those look very cool. The price is a little steep, but It’s only for me. I have a couple of books I would love to have a slipcase for. Thanks so much for the info. And I am hoping that blurb can offer something similar in the near future.

Cliff

Posted by
cliffy81056
Jan 20, 2009 6:50pm PDT
cliffy81056

Tony,

Many thanks for the site info. I think even the stock card ones look resonable, I just can’t see the sizes available or the prices.

In this slip case journey that I have been on(!) I have had good chats with lots of producers including printboxes .co. uk who mentioned that he is intending on producing a clam shell style box specifically for the Blurb range, but mentioned it my not be for a few months.

He said he would post any news (possibly here on the forum).

Thanks again for your help,

Regards,

Joe Fairs.

Posted by
joefairs
Jan 22, 2009 5:03am PDT
joefairs

Joe, they are all made to measure so you need to slip them an e-mail asking about prices.

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jan 22, 2009 5:26am PDT
tfrankland

Tony,

Thanks for posting the price of your book.  I have contacted them and for what I want they said it would be about $84. and that sounded very reasonable considering what looks like great quality.  I would rather use blurb, but the binding on all but my first book leaves something to be desired and yes they did reprint them for me once, but  only the book from Conn. had the binding great. 

Posted by
swdalton
Jan 22, 2009 12:11pm PDT
swdalton

WWW.SLIPCASEBOOKS.COM is definitely worth checking out.  Most sizes are only $50 and they are all custom to fit your book, and are located in the states.

Posted by
ronthesaxman
Feb 11, 2011 11:10am PDT
ronthesaxman

I make slipcases to fit your exact book
1 to ?
I do this for a living and have for over 25 years.
I can make you professional slipcases to fit your specific book(s)
Joe 765-860-7751

Posted by
Companion
Aug 24, 2011 5:26pm PDT
Companion